Buying a new rod and would like some advice...

J

Jut17

Whats up fellas? I am looking to buy a new outfit and would love any input that you have on the rods I'm considering. This will only be my 2nd flyrod, and I have been using a TFO series one rod in a 5-6 weight for a couple years. I fish medium streams most such as yellow creek, spring, yellow breeches, WB Octararo,etc. I am looking for a good all round rod and in the medium/fast range. I am looking to spend 150-250 on a rod that I will outfit with an orvis battenkill reel and cortland WFF 444. I am considering a 4 or 5 weight rod.
The rods I am considering are cabelas L-tech, LST, and PT+. TFo finesse, and professional. St Croix Avid series. Maybe even G Loomis GL3 for 300 from FFP fly shop in state college. I know that the PT+ and finesse are slower rods that are great for clear water dry fly action. Problem I have is that the rods on cabelas website dont have the flex value on them like orvis does 3-9. I guess that I ideally want a mid flex in 6.5-7.5. The L-tech seems to be described as a powerful fast rod with the LST as more of a medium. I am leaning towards the LST or Avid and would like to try them out too. Any advice to help narrow my search would be great cause I dont think i can test all these rods. I am trying to get the best quality rod for the money I spend. I havent gotten the bug to buy a ton of equipment and stick with something I like. Ive heard good things about the quality and price of cabelas rods and even read some rave reviews for the avid on this site. thanks for any suggestions.

The GL3 is the ultimate rod in its price range, IMO. 9'5wt GL3 is what I'd choose if I had to pick one rod for PA fishing. It's a hair undergunned for the largest rivers like the D and out west... but for any average PA fishing situation, it can't be beat for the price IMHO.

It's fast and powerful enough to do what I need it to do, but it's got a bit of midrange action character. I don't know how it does it.

Best bet would be to go to FFP and cast some rods. Our tastes in rods may be different than yours.

My pick for the $300/under range - Sage Flight series. Newer technology than the rods you listed, nicer hardware. But I'm a Sage fan...

If he's there, Dennis is the guy you want to work with - he's an excellent caster, and knows his rods.

St. Croix would be my choice for around 200, but if you want the best on your list, go with the Loomis. Since you already have a 5-6wt I'd go with an 8.5 ft 4 wt.

test cast all the rods you can, then decide what one you like best, don't worry about the brand. the fish don't care one bit!

Check PM. Sent you info on LST w/ Orvis BLA I am getting rid of. Even if you are not interested you are more than welcome to try out the LST in real world conditions.

Back