Bullheads???

streamerguy

streamerguy

Anyone ever catch one on the fly?? While fishing for bass this morning I managed to bring in this little guy. I've caught plenty fishing with bait but this is my first fly fishing, or on any artificial for that matter. Anyways, just found it cool/interesting. Definitely unexpected...

IMG_2539_zps761e5b02.jpg

Can't recall ever having caught one on a fly rod. Have caught a couple of channel cats on diving minnow baits, but that was years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to catch a channel cat or a flathead if they were in the area I was fishing. Have seen some pictures of channel cats caught on dries during the White Miller hatch on the Susquehanna.

I caught a channel cat on a slowly swung bugger in the Allegheny. Actually last evening I caught a decent walleye on a clouser in the same stretch of water. I thought it was a snag. They fight like wet socks.

Interesting. I was thinking my first cat on the fly would be a channel......not a bullhead. Catching them during the white fly hatch sounds like fun.

Yeah, I've caught my share of walleye fly fishing before. And yep, they're pretty crappie fighters. With that said, they are good eating! I caught my first handful of sauger last year and they fight even worse!!

Have caught a handful of bullheads on the fly over the years in small streams. They will definitely eat a streamer but I don't think they're worth targeting with flies.
Channel catties are much better game to pursue with fly gear and generally more aggressive and easier to catch.

I've caught my fair share of early morning bull heads on a size 14 Casual Dress in the late spring/early summer. A Casual Dress is a great poly-wog imitation.

i caught a bullhead about a month ago on a black wooly bugger.

Every bullhead (probably a couple dozen over the years..) I've ever caught on a fly has been incidental to monkey dinking around looking for walleye in slow sections of warmwater streams. Most have come during low light periods (early or late in the day or during a heavy overcast) and most took a simple black fur leech crawled across the bottom. All were the garden variety brown bullhead common to PA. Well, with one exception.. I get a yellow bullhead out of of a slow section of the Manitowoc River in Eastern Wisconsin while prospecting for smallmouth. He was about 5 1/4" inches long and fought like a gym sock with a tablespoon of sand in it. I caught one of those once too, so I know what I'm talking about.

That was kinda neat because I don't know if there are any yellow bullhead in PA..

Back