Building a rod

I

IdratherbePhishing

Hello all,
I bought a rod building kit but can't find the guide spacing chart. The blank is 7'9 and the rod is 4 piece. I found Gide spacing for a 7'9 two piece. Not sure if I can use the same chart if that will make a difference. I did contact the company just waiting for a reply. Just figured I'd throw something up here for some info.

guide spacing charts are just a starting point. The final position of each guide needs to be based on a static test >>> load the rod and ensure a smooth transition of the line.

Go ahead and use the spacing for the two piece blank. Attach the guides with tape, surgical tubing or hot glue and then load the rod. Move the guides as needed and then you have your final spacing.

Awesome thanks.

I have a formula at home and if I remember to get it I'll post it later.

However, I'm sure there are formulas around too.

Again, it's just a suggestive formula, you will have to load the rod to see if it fits the blank.

Ok thanks.

Sage and Winston have guide spacing charts on their websites for their models which include 4 pc. - check their websites.

Also don't flex your blank til you wrap the ferrules- some makers like to put guides near the ferrules (sage) so you might want to look at a factory rod to see if you like that look of a combined ferrule/guide wrap or if you want separate errule/guide wraps.

Also you can check out rodbuilding forum for lots of good info and photos to see what you like.

Good luck - it's really cool catching fish on a rod you made!

I hope 9th grade algebra is still fresh in your mind.

Length of the rod in inches, minus 30" (for the stripping guide) = 4 + (4 + x) + (4 + 2x) + (4 + 3x) + (4 + 4x) + etc (number of guides)

Then solve for x, and then place that value back into the equation.

For your example:
84" - 30"
54" = 4 + (4 + x) + (4 + 2x) + (4 + 3x) + (4 + 4x) + (4 + 5x) + (4 + 6x) + (4 + 7x) + (4 + 8x).

54" = 36 + 36x
18 = 36x
x = .5"

So then you plug .5 back in for x and that gives you your guide spacing.

4" from the tip-top for the first guide, 4.5" for the next one from that guide, 5" from that one, etc.

There is a pretty good free guide spacing calculator available :
http://www.coloradocustomflyrods.com/styled-3/downloads/index.html

Even if I have a spacing chart for the blank, I run this as a comparison and choose the spacing that "feels right." I then tape the guides on and do the static test as described above. Usually the guides will move just a bit, but I think it makes a big difference in the way the rod casts.

The stripping guide is best placed for the individual using the rod. You have them hold it in a normal fishing position, then reach up with their free hand and touch the rod. The usual position is 30-32 inches based on average arm lengths.

Back