Bugger - Have a look and let me know what you think

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

So even thought I am fairly new at fly tying, I don't tie many buggers. When I started fly fishing (for a year or so before I started tying) I bought a lot of buggers, and didn't really fish them often, so I still have a lot. I recently started fishing them and having some success, so I thought I should start tying them. I like the smaller sizes, and I like them with a bead head and a lot of weight. I sat down at the bench last night and produced this in a size 12.

A few comments up front...I don't have a lot of quality maribou yet, so I know the tail leaves a bit to be desired. I used olive chenille for the body, and the rib and "hackle" is Hareline polar chenille in olive. I added the olive hen collar just because I though it looked good.

I figured I would put it out there for comment before I tied a dozen! As always, thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• DSC_0088.JPG
    DSC_0088.JPG
    405.2 KB · Views: 10
That dog will hunt!

proportions look good, but the hackle should be wrapped from tail to head. tail should be thicker (more fibers), once its wet it will look completely different. put it in water and see what I mean. other wise it will fish for sure.

Sanfly is right on and you said it yourself with the tail, but I'm sure that fly will catch fish. That fly in that color is what I catch the majority of my fish on subsurface. Good going

That buffer looks good but here are a few more suggestions:

1) Tie in more full of a marabou tail - Once wet or after a few fish a sparse tail disappears quickly.

2) Hackle It should extend from the head to the tail as said above. Although I tie numerous Buggers with both a full lenght hackle and then a soft hackle collar at the cone. I love making them buggy!

3) wrap lead wire under your body, up to the head of the cone. It does to things, weights the fly and keeps the cone tight against the hook eye.

4) for buggers I like to use straight eye hook rather than a down eye.

That's it!

If your looking to catch fish that fly will do its job. I wouldn't try and get it perfect. The goal is to catch fish and not fishermen right? Besides the fly tied that way could be your own variation of a bugger type fly.

Looks killer as a Dragonfly Nymph. Try stripping it around banks in really slow water, and you should catch fish.

for buggers that small, try using a shaggy dubbing with flash picked out instead of chenille. Something like hare's ice dub. You can omit the flash, chenille, and ribbing if you go this route. Otherwise, good fly that will catch fish.

Bam,
Why not use small chenile?

Back