Bug ID

mute

mute

http://i42.tinypic.com/behp3n.jpg

Mayfly? What kind? They were most abundant when it was raining.

Looks like a Sulphur to me. male if I am not mistaken..

I'd have to agree, it looks like a sulphur to me.

Nice photo.

The wings are pretty light for a sulphur, but I don't know what else it could be.

I would fish a sulphur imitation regardless of what it is.

Two tails NOT a sulfur

Veinated wings, NOT a sulfur.

Looks like the stenonema family (heptgenidae)

Light (Orange) Cahill.

Try this one.

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/517

Ephemerella (sulfurs) have three tails. I remember it as two L's in ephemerella three tails. Two L's = three tails.

Barred legs, mottled veinated wings usually means the old Stenonema or now Heptagenidae (Stenocron) Cahills, March Browns, Grey foxes (now lumped with the March Browns)

Cahills used to be Stenonema Canadensis. March Browns Stenonema Vicarium and Stenoneam Fuscum for the grey fox.

I should add that Sulfurs have (dun colored) smokey grey to whitish grey wings with no defined veins or mottling. The legs also have no mottling. Typically yellow or white/tan.

Here's maurice and JF looking at one of the stenoma family at the Coburn RR bridge:

2373994750091722017S425x425Q85.jpg

Pic doesn't show much of the bug... but it was similar to the one mute posted.

Mo, which one was that again? Gray Fox? Are they now the same species as MBs?

redrockgrizzly wrote:
agree with maurice

I concur I ran into a lot of those on the Skuke and thought they were Sulphurs at first until I was told other wise :-D

The Trout Professor knows......... :-D

Attachments

• The Trout Professor.jpg
    The Trout Professor.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 3
Definitely from the Heptageniidae Family with the heavy barring on wings & legs, and the strong leg structure. The color suggests a Cahill.

I miss the old days when Stenonema was Stenonema. Who didn't love saying "Stenonema Fuscum?" Especially after a few "approved" beverages. Now we have Maccaffertium and Stenacron - There's no magic in either or those names.

I see the Bug Prof is using a PAFF-approved pointer. I wonder if he enjoys saying "Stenonema Fuscum?"

EG

I agree with Mo on the cahill , is that the shuck laying between the wings of that one in the pic? On our SWPA freestone streams the cahill is probably the most abundant mayfly we have , the "hatch" lasts a long time and i've rarely seen it heavy but it's steady , prolonged and it definatly gets the trouts attention.

Seven feet of snow outside, beers and chalkboard drawings of mayflies inside. THAT'S how you survive an apocalyptic winter!

yellow sally ?

A yellow sally is a stonefly, at least it is in these parts.

The one pictured is deinitely a mayfly.

The guys are right that it is a stenonema (or whatever the taxon guys are calling them these days and it isn't a sulfur.

We used to see them pretty frequently on larger NWPA streams like Oil and the Brokenstraw (whenever I would somehow get stuck fishing the Brokenstraw) and the main stem of Caldwell/Pine.

I think the proper name for them is "those damned things again.."

Looks a lot like the pink cahills we used to have on the south fork of the Boise river.

Attachments

• pink cahill.jpg
    pink cahill.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3
By golly, that's a genuine Epeorus vitreus according to Matching The Hatch. But not Epeorus vitreus according to Trout Nut. I used to see them every once in a while on the Bushkill just below Tatamy.

stenonema ithaca male dun if it had big black eyes , stenonema heterotarsale , female dun if it did not , looks a little too yellow to be a stenonema heterotarsale male dun which has the black eyes too , but when the wings are liad down a yellow sally has 2 tails and is yellow etc. not sure by looking at the pic , its early to see cahills but .. who knows , my best bet is a grey fox though because it is very hard to tell them apart in the dun stage (fuscum-ithaca)

Goes to show that I can learn something new every day on PAFF. Thanks for the correction Mo.

Cahill it is.

Just to throw this in there , is it the cahill or the sulpher that out west is referred to as the Pale Morning Dun , i knew this at one time , old brains forget.

Back