Bug ID please

jifigz

jifigz

Okay, I've seen these before but I'm not sure what they are. I had a friend text me a picture and say "what is this?" I had to positive ID a dobsonfly for them last time. These people aren't fisherman at all but they just want to know the answer and so do I. They live along clearfield Creek and they're slowly seeing it come back to life.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190905-213447.jpg
    Screenshot_20190905-213447.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 8
Okay, and one more thing, someone suggested to them that it was a cranefly. I said, "ahhhhh, no." Lol, so yeah, they definitely don't know insects.

Beats me - never seen anything like that before (scratching head).

Had one of those inside my car last weekend along the Savage!

I thought it was a giant crane fly. Google images seems to back it up.

Are you serious? It's a type of cranefly!!!! Now I feel like the idiot lol..

jifigz wrote:

They live along clearfield Creek and they're slowly seeing it come back to life.

That's good news. Do you have any more information on that?

My guess would be a cranefly also. Although I think everyone I've seen was tan colored.

As for the creek:
The headwaters are rated class A
I've fished it once - just for a few hours

First spot I tried was a few miles upstream of Ashville. Fished a 100 yard section below a bridge there. And caught zilch.
I then walked above the bridge. And found an orange stained feeder coming in, giving it a good shot of AMD.

I then moved upstream another mile or so.
And started catching some wild browns.
Most of them smallish in size

Dave_W wrote:

It certainly could be this critter, but the OP's photo looks different (at least to me).

Well, there are over 10,00 species in that taxon.

troutbert wrote:
jifigz wrote:

They live along clearfield Creek and they're slowly seeing it come back to life.

That's good news. Do you have any more information on that?

Yeah, they've lived along the creek for a long time, farther down definitely not trout water. And they said they didn't use to see anything. No bugs, no fish, nothing from mine pollution..now they are finding critters in their house like the picture they sent me and when they go canoeing they seem some fish and whatnot, smallmouth bass, etc. So basically they used to think it was totally dead and now, well, it's coming alive again. All good things.

Back