Buffalo Run, Centre County

sarce

sarce

Anyone ever catch any brook trout here? I was fishing it for a short time today and came across a dead 9" brookie. It appeared it had been dead for a while and was starting to decompose, so I can't claim for sure that it was wild/stocked, but either way it was a surprising find. I had only fished this part of the creek once before today and caught a few small browns. Did not bring any to hand today but missed several.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

sarce wrote:
Anyone ever catch any brook trout here? I was fishing it for a short time today and came across a dead 9" brookie. It appeared it had been dead for a while and was starting to decompose, so I can't claim for sure that it was wild/stocked, but either way it was a surprising find. I had only fished this part of the creek once before today and caught a few small browns. Did not bring any to hand today but missed several.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

I''ve only caught browns there. I think it's unlikely that there are native brookies in there. But I'd be happy if there are.

^
especially since the development of the port matilda area and the construction of I99. I hope there will still be wild browns in 3 years

I don't think there were brookies in Buffalo Run before I99 either.

Thanks for the replies. I do remember this summer driving a road going up the ridge on the north side of the drainage. There was a trickle of a stream along the road, maybe there are a few hidden in there. But looking at satellite maps, I can't seem to locate that trib again so I'm thinking it very well could have been in a different valley. I fished a lot of new water last year and can't keep it all straight in my head.

The browns seem to be doing okay, although they were not having anything to do with a caddis dry. Nymphing brought takes in water I had just fished with the dry with no reaction. Some of the farms there were clearly contributing to a pretty serious erosion / siltation problem.

Back