bubblers

geebee

geebee

my local pond on the subdivision has installed 7 or 8 bubblers just after ice out to rid it of the algal bloom in summer, the ponds is about 4-5 acres i'd guess.

now i know that trout in trout ponds hang round these things in summer for the oxygen, but how do the bass and panfish react ? do they hang round them this time or year, or just in the summer or not at all ? do they avoid them ?

i've noticed two things in the last few weeks - canadian geese avoid em but gulls will sit right in them, i'm guessing to feed on stuff coming up from the bottom ?

i'm thinking of tubing in the hopefully now clearer water this spring but i'm not sure how to target fish around the bubblers ???? - do i want to fish around the surface with a light fly or down deep with a sinking tip and a heavy or buoyant fly ?

cheers

Mark.

Do all of the options mentioned until you catch fish. I am not well acquainted with these "bubblers," but man do I wish I had a pond close by loaded with LMB, Bluegill, and Channel Cats. Now that is a species trifecta right there.

I get the to fish a lake in SJ, twice a year one in the spring and once in the late fall. I'm not sure you'd call it a bubbler, but it looks more like a fountain. It is aerating the water. Generally, I've found that the pan fish will hang around the edges of the spray circle and will take top waters or hit the dropper on a popper-dropper set up. Every so often a bass will bust up the school. So I guess the answer would be both. Try some top waters for the pan fish and go with bait fish patterns, weighted or unweighted on either a sink tip or intermediate line for the bass.

Thanks Jerry, thats kind of how i was thinking.

Back