Browning Boron

troutfin308

troutfin308

I recently received an old Browning Boron fly rod for my birthday, and was wondering if anybody would have any knowledge or information on it. It is a 2 piece rod, model 122981 with line weights rated for 6, 7, 8, and 9. Any information or where I could get information on this fly rod would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

yo tro - I have 2 Browning borons - both are smaller than yours and are delightful, almost like glass. I got them at a shop in Oregon near the Deschutes.

gfen - thanks for the link (which didn't work, so I pasted the URL). Good info on boron technology there. I have several Fenwick BoronXs, as well as a Rodon built by Ted Simroe, and a couple of Kunnans. I even have several of the original Phillips solid boron blanks - need to have somebody built them out. Ron Kusse sent me some minute guides suitable for those unbelievably skinny blanks.

I've used a Browning boron rod for many years (I don't know the vintage, but it is from the 80s) that is rated for a 6 but works better with a 4/5 line. Soft action, but nice.

Back