Brown Drake dubbing

A

alatt

What color dubbing do you use for Pine Creek brown drakes.

Having fished throughout the country and Canada there are different shades of Brown Drakes, some are an olive brown some a tannish brown depending on the water they live in. That is what I meant.

What color dubbing do you use for Pine Creek brown drakes.
Here's what I use. It was blended by Jack Mickievicz.
I have plenty that I will never use so, if you want some pm your address & I send some your way.

Attachments

• 348354641_113801931718138_7874913060794177533_n.jpg
    348354641_113801931718138_7874913060794177533_n.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 18
I use Fly Rite #34 Quill Gordon/ Brown Drake Yellow BCS 32/40 but I know the fish don't give a rat's a$$ about color because I've used a host of other "incorrect" color flies during the hatch that were the right size and was equally as successful.

Bottom line, trying to match the colors of the natural insect is a fun aspect of the hobby and I am guilty of being an adherent but the correct size, life stage and presentation trumps color every day of the week.

Do the brown drakes hatch before or after the slate drakes. (I expect troutbert's answer will be "Yes.")

Do the brown drakes hatch before or after the slate drakes. (I expect troutbert's answer will be "Yes.")

During... ;)

The hatches overlap with the Brown Drake typically but not always hatching later in the evening.

Bottom line, this time of year have some brown flies from size 10 to 14 in the fly boxes...

During... ;)

The hatches overlap with the Brown Drake typically but not always hatching later in the evening.

Bottom line, this time of year have some brown flies from size 10 to 14 in the fly boxes...
Thanks. We'll have some brown drakes about the same size as the slates that we use (and a few coffin flies). I can't get up there until the first week of June this year - if I can get there at all.

Thank you all. "Brad from Potter" Thanks for the offer, but I'll be fine. I always enjoyed your hunting camp photos.

Back