Brother's Success

djs12354

djs12354

Fished the Lackawanna on Friday with Pete (brother) and Dan (friend who got me hooked on FF).

We were exploring a stretch of water on the Lack that we had been near but not actually fished. Drifting tandem rigs through runs along the shore produced an eager 10" Brown for me, followed by another of those colorful 4" inch fish.

Dan was working a faster run above us and hit a nice Lackawanna Brown as long as my forearm (16" +/-). It was a healthy fish with beautiful coloring.

Best part of the day for me came when I turned just in time to see Pete set the hook on a twin to the trout I had caught earlier! He had caught his first trout on the Little Lehigh, bit it was only a 4" fish, so we called this his first real trout.

We did a little more exploring and came back to our starting point to finish our day where Pete hooked into another fish. He struck so hard the fish came flying out of the water! Not to be outdone, the fish jumped a few times on its own before coming off right at his feet.

Only sad part of the day was not having a camera to get pics of these fish.

The Aardvark strikes again!

Congratulations to Pete, and to you Dave. Few things in fishing are as enjoyable as helping someone catch their first fish.

Nice!

Good stuff for Pete.

Where exactly is the Lackawanna and is it big water?

Stagger-Lee

The Lackawanna River is up here in the North-East corner of PA. Basically runs from Forest City down through the Lackawanna Valley to meet up with the Susquehanna River.

I don't think you can call it big water, but it can run fast and deep in certain spots. Wading can be hairy and I strongly recommend using a staff. (you can ask Pete about this)

I grew up in this area and still find it difficult to believe that the Lackawanna is now one of the finest fisheries in PA. It has come a long way in terms of improved water quality and appearance. It has recently had additional water classified as Class A and includes a Trophy Trout section not far from where I live.

We're (Dan, Pete and I0 are currently exploring different access points and learning about this local resource through help from other forum members and from just walking the river, fishing.

Although some of the stretches still show the ugly signs of its past and what can happen to rivers and streams that pass through urban areas, there a re many spots that let you forget you are in or near towns and are down right pretty.

Dan's success with big browns is not unusual for him and other anglers who know how to fish better than I do. There are some real brutes in this water.

Come on up this way some time and we'll head out on the water.

Dave

Heading down to Scranton to fish the Lack this morning. It seems weird sometimes because when I was a kid the lower river was extremely polluted but was(and still is) stocked with trout near my house. But the best fishing today is where it was most polluted back in the 60s and 70s.

Back