Brookies in Erie/Crawford county

guppieguy

guppieguy

I am familiar with the stocked streams in western PA, but due to climbing water temps I'm looking for some smaller spring-fed streams for some late- summer brookie(or maybe even brown trout) fishing to scratch the trout itch. I just settled in the Edinboro area but I have family in North East, PA as well. I don't need specific spots or honey-holes, just looking for some suggestions on streams to try. Thanks in advance!

There are countless small wild trout streams across the northcentral and northeastern sections of the state. Try checking our Reports forum for more info. You can search by stream name or county.

Folks on this site are rather tight lipped about small wild trout streams, but a polite PM to some of our small stream regulars might get you some good info. The PFBC website is also an online option with a lot of info on trout streams. It's also worth noting that many if not most of the smaller stocked streams in the more mountainous sections of PA also have wild trout.

Thanks for the quick response Dave. I did a quick search of the site before I posted. I've also spent a bit of time on the PFBC website using their interactive map to find wild streams, but I'm just looking for a little more info or personal experience if anyone is willing to share. I understand a lot of these streams are near and dear to the people that fish them, and I'm certainly not expecting a blatant handout of info or a public spot burn! Trying to stay on the west side of the state and explore waters that wouldn't necessarily require a day trip.

I'd advise you to use the PFBC natural reproduction list and start exploring. There are limited wild trout opportunities in Erie County and a modest amount more in Crawford County. Your major impediments are going to be: access and fishability (fishability meaning stream size, brushiness, swamps, etc.). Probably 90% of the wild trout opportunities are going to be over browns. Almost all of the streams worth exploring are going to be in the eastern halves of both counties. One clue, in Erie County at least, is that a major property rights dispute in the 80's and 90's caused half or more of the stocked inland streams in the county to be posted and removed from stocking. In the interim, some pretty decent wild trout pops. have developed both in portions of the main stream as well as some of the tribs in some (but not all..) of these watersheds. With the right approach in asking permission, it may be possible to access some of this water.

Just as a generality, the best of the Crawford County wild trout fishery is in smaller streams in the Oil Creek and Sugar Creek watersheds. Access is where you can find it, but will probably be a little better than Erie County.

There's something, anyway...:)

Match some of this up with the NR and you have a start..

Good Luck!

There is some decent brookie fishing in the Allegheny National Forest.

Close to Edinboro, you're likely to find more bass and panfish opportunities. And steelhead on the Erie tribs come fall of course.

I would try Caldwell Creek and all of its tributaries. This watershed is in eastern Crawford and western Warren county. Its a very healthy watershed with plenty of wild fish.

Back