brook trout fin wet fly

turkey

turkey

Hook: Mustad 3399 size 8

Tail: white saddle

Body: orange uni stretch (couldn't find my floss)

Rib: small gold oval

Wing: married duck quill

Collar: furnace hen

Nice fly Turkey

turkey wrote:
Body: orange uni stretch (couldn't find my floss)

Utah's Fin, obviously.

Very very nice!!! My Pap used to fish a brace of wetflies xwung down and accross , i learned alot of fly tying from keeping him supplied. That fly on that Hardy say a 1000 words.

Beautiful, I bet that will catch some big brookies. Great photo too, thanks for sharing.

nice, looks like you went for the closed rather than splayed wing....

also, for those not aware, there are 7 variations of this fly.
Bergman Fontinalis
Fontinalis Fin
Brook Fin
Brookie Fin
Trout Fin
Armstrong Fontinalis
Olive Trout Fin, a Don Bastian Original

You can find more info here. I havent tied them all in a while, maybe i'll do the set again this week.

THanks for posting, Turkey

Man turkey, thats purdy! One day ill get into old school stuff, but for niw im sticking with the basics.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments. Blueheron, it's funny that I could be so attracted to orange and black when it's wrapped on a hook and when it's on a hockey sweater it makes me nauseous ;-)

Eunan, yeah I like the wings in for some reason. I know guys like Gordon Chesney and others tie them splayed for a little more movement in the current. I think I only do it this way for aesthetics. I actually bought my current batch of quills from Don B. I kept finding quills that were chewed up or not matched up properly. I don't know if he is still selling them but when I need more I'm going to try him first.

turkey wrote:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments. Blueheron, it's funny that I could be so attracted to orange and black when it's wrapped on a hook and when it's on a hockey sweater it makes me nauseous ;-)

Eunan, yeah I like the wings in for some reason. I know guys like Gordon Chesney and others tie them splayed for a little more movement in the current. I think I only do it this way for aesthetics. I actually bought my current batch of quills from Don B. I kept finding quills that were chewed up or not matched up properly. I don't know if he is still selling them but when I need more I'm going to try him first.

I get my quills from Spirit River. Sometimes they're shorter than others i've found interms of barb length. I was just tying on size 7 hooks last night and it was already somewhat of a struggle to get wings right. Hook and Hackle is the only supplier i konw of that sells spirit river.

I did buy some white quills from the craft store that i dyed myself, and the barb length on those was much longer and easier to work with than the predyed quills....it really does take a lot of trial and error, and the best way to find the best quills is to see them as you buy them

Beautiful fly and nice photo.

Back