Brook Trout Bugger

MKern

MKern

Here is agreat fly for brookie stream in early season, during high water, or leading up to the spawn.

Materials:
Tail: red marabou and olive marabou
Body: red chenelle
Shellback: tag of olive marabou
Hackle: olive grizzly
Eyes: bronze bead chain

Attachments

• Brook Trout Bugger.JPG
    Brook Trout Bugger.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 14
Nice tie, Matt.

One of the things I like about your ties is your attention to detail. It'd be easy to overlook the thought that went into that fly, so I'll call attention to something I see as important in its construction.

Notice how he wrapped the chenille behind the tie in/first wrap of hackle. This covers and protects the hackle from the fish's teeth. Also at the bead eyes, the hackle is tied off behind the bead chain. Again, this protects the hackle from being cut. The palmer wrap up the chenille with the hackle is also sunk into the gap in the chenille wraps, providing protection for the fragile hackle stem.

Using these tricks of tying allows for a fly that isn't a "one fish wonder". It provides durability without counter wrapping with a wire rib.

Maybe I should just cut back on the caffiene. :lol:

Everything I tie speceficly for native trout has at least a touch of red in it, if just useing red thread for the head or a red tail. Looks like it'll work I'll give it a try.

Nice fly Matt as always!

H.A. those were all good points you mentions that most of us would of overlooked. He musta had a great teacher when starting out :-D

Thanks Ed.

I will say that I tie the eyes in first. This keeps them from being "ellevated" and looking out of place.

Here's a couple other tips I have for tying buggers.
1. Lead wraps should be at the front of the hook.
2. Don't trim marabou just tie it down along the shank and flod it back and tie over it if there's excess. This makes the fly bulkier.
3. Select a good hackle feather. This make tying much easier and less stressful. Brush the fibers back and tie the tip in first. This creates longer fibers near the head. Oh, and the wraps should get tighter towards the head to make it buggier.

Sorry for the crappy pic too. My wife broke my good camera.

very nice looking fly.

Nice looking tie. One thing to consider is that tying the bead chain eyes on the top of the shank will tend to make the fly ride hook point up. In this case it would put your olive marabou tail and shellback on the bottom of the fly and the red on top (probably wouldn't make a big difference to the fish or the effectiveness of the fly itself - but it may to the tyer).

I tie a lot of my buggers with dumbell eyes (clouser style) and they all ride hook point up. I really love that syle of tie. I also tie about 90% of my carp flies using bead chain eyes on the top of the shank and I believe that all of them ride hook point up as well. At least almost all of the carp that I caught this year were neatly hooked with the point up in the upper lip.

Thanks for sharing your pattern.

Nice. I had never thought to use the tag of the marabou tail to make a two toned bugger.

As for the bead chain eyes, I think with as small as those ones are it may not turn the fly upside down. If anything it could swim sideways. I know I've had that problem with big bass streamers. The size 1 bass hooks are so heavy that my standard small lead eyes aren't heavy enough to turn the fly upside down in the water, so the end up swimming sideways unless I use a heavier eye or tie it in on the bottom of the hook shank instead of the top (which is what I usually do, since I feel like a medium sized dumbell eye is a little too much weight).

Blast from the past thread.

I rarely have them turn over (upside down), but I do t fish buggers that often.

I actually have done this pattern over a few times in the past couple years to have a more accurate color representation. I also have done brown and rainbow buggers.

The rainbow buggers were to represent the bow fingerlings they stock in the Kish every other year. I figured the big browns go nuts for them.

Huh. I didn't notice the date on the thread. Just saw that it was at the top of the fly tying section so figured it was new.

I didn't know they stocked rainbow fingerings in kish. I wonder why they would do that when kish already has a healthy naturally reproducing brown trout population? I guess I have caught some really pretty, healthy looking rainbow trout in the faster sections of kish. I had assumed they were holdovers. Maybe they grew up in kish from the fingerling stockings.

They used to stock them every year in Reedsville where Tea dumps in, at the DU area.

Now they do every other year.
On the opposite years of bows in the Kish, they stock fingerling browns in the reservoir. Why, I have now clue. How many people actually fish the reservoir?

Oh and when I first moved to Lewistown, 8 years ago, there was very little holdover and grown up fingerlings. And I believed they started stocking them 10 to 12 years ago.

You are right, now they are every where. We have even been catching them way up Honey that are about 13". Which I'm not to sure I like seeing.

It's been a couple year since I have fished Team but there were bows up to the dam at the fire station. I would bet that many have made it past that since.

Side note: this will be the year they stock the Kish with bow fingerlings.

Nice Brook Trout Bugger. Looks like a killer. You don't indicate the size of the hook but I have a suggestion you might like to try - a mini version. A nice guy on Kettle Creek showed his favorite bugger. I figured it was worth a try, I tied some up and caught my two biggest fish of the season on the Tully. I guess the size is just something different for the fish to investigate. The recipe: Dark olive marabou tail slightly shorter to counter the nippers, dark olive hackle from a bugger pack, black bead, size small dark olive Orvis chennile. Here's the key - Mustad 9671 size 14 (2xl). You could also use a 9672 (3xl). I'll try your pattern. Thanks for sharing.

I forgot to mention, if you tie your Brook Trout Bugger mini style (9671) a black tungsten bead is an option.

I'd tie a similar one for brown trout streams that would have a gold/yellow belly.

That looks like a great pattern. I may tie some up and try them especially in the small(12/14) sizes. Thanks.

Back