Brook Trout Access

T

TYoung

To those who fish for brookies a lot, has anyone had any difficulty getting to their favorite brookie stream because of gas drilling on state land? Also, has anyone seen any significant damage to the mountain roads that have to be used to get to the small streams?

I haven't been up north much. But I highly suspect the answer is:

1. No (except as it pertains to #2).
2. Yes

There have been some detours and delays due to road and bridge repair work. And be alert for the trucks driving fast on narrow roads.

But I still fish in that region.

Two years ago I took an exploratory drive on some back roads in Potter County. They were extremely rutted and rough. It had rained a day or two before and the roads were also very smeary - there were a few places I thought I could have easily slid off the road. I can't say that it was Marcellus related, but it was definitely related to oil and gas drilling (perhaps shallow). They were kind enough to warn on the side of the road that I came out on..

Attachments

• IMG_1701.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 4
Most of the secondary paved roads in Bradford County have been resurfaced by the drillers. A few spots have been denied access by the drillers who have posted off areas. Not many near creeks though. (mostly warmwater farm ponds)

A lot of detours here due to bridge re-constructions. And traffic... OMG! TONS! it takes twice as long to get ANYWHERE! I have seen some weird machinery being towed on flatbeds. Halliburton has some HUGE machinery that really puts the OVERSIZED LOAD in perspective.

Back