broke rod tip

A

atticus

Snapped about an inch off the tip of a fly rod .Don't feel like sending it back to St Croix. I heated the tip eye off the broken piece. Was wondering if there is an epoxy I could purchase at the Hardware store to reapply.I sometimes replace golf club shafts. Was thinking maybe that epoxy would work. Any recommendations ?

Normally, they're held on with ferrule glue -- essentially the same sort of hot glue you find in hot glue guns.

I prefer 5 min epoxy but hot glue works fine. Both will allow removal with a little heat.

Check with St Croix. They have a tip program. It's pretty cheap and fast. I'd call them

I generally use a super glue gel to put a new tip on. Does the tip still fit on the rod?

Yes. Use 30 minute epoxy. What you use for golf clubs is perfect

went with the golf club epoxy .well see how it works

That should be fine and you likely won't be able to tell the difference from full length.

Since the topic is up I will add that it reminded me to put some hot melt glue slivers and spare tip tops in my vest. Hot melt requires no mixing or curing past the working time and the unused remainder does not seem to degrade, so you can be fishing again in a minute. It is all I have used for any build, repair or restore including split cane. That is not to say it is better than the alternatives noted.

Well, I used super glue once, but I don't think I'd recommend it. I glued the tip on slightly sideways, and it still it. But then, I'm not the world's handiest handy man.

hot glue is best .
Absolutely. That's what the factory uses and any professional would also use it to affix a replacement tip as well.

I'd use Flex Coat tip top adhesive. Simple easy to use and inexpensive.

https://flexcoat.com/shop/finishes-and-adhesives/thermal-plastic-tip-top-adhesive

Back