Broad-Brimmed Hats, magnifiers & bug nets

T

troutbert

Does anyone have recommendations for broad-brimmed hats for fishing?

I've been wearing a ball cap, with the standard fly shop issue magnifier attached to the brim.

But I'm thinking of getting a broad-brimmed hat to prevent sunburn.

And I'm thinking of getting a bug net, with the idea that a bug net might work better with a broad-brimmed hat than with a ball cap, because the net would be further away from the face.

And I'd like to continue using a magnifier, attached to the brim of the cap.

Any suggestions on all of the above?

"Hat, Jungle, with Insect Net."

I can vouch for the Tilly although I have the green hemp one. I've worn it out West the last few years and it's kept the high desert and high mountain sun off. You can also dunk it to cool off.

Go leather or go home. Cool, waterproof, and long life.

I believe mine is from BC hats (an Australian company). I've had it, wow, close to 15 years now, and still love mine. Looks a little silly, but does what it's supposed to.

http://www.bchats.com/hatStyles.aspx

They list their suppliers where you can order on the website somewhere. They have a bunch of slightly different hats. Mine originally had a suede finish, but I've put so much silicon spray on there I'm not sure the surface resembles the original anymore.

Another vote for the tilley. My friends laugh, but I like it. I've worn it for many years and each time I reach into my bag, is comes back to life. Have not given the nettting any though, but after last weekend, I think it warrants consieration.

Dwight, sounds like your wanting the "old man starter kit"!!
I can say crap like that, cause I'm getting to that point also, I clip my magnifiers to my big straw hat, no bug net, just some good healthy deet!

another +1 for the Tilley.

I got a head net from Eastern Mountain Sports for $10 :

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3657115&cp=3677338.11516099.11516262.11516201

With the leather ones from BC hats, there's a few different brim "stiffnesses". Mine has a easily bendable wire running the outside. I've never had a magnifier on it, but I do put those hat brim headlamps on with no issues.

How about the Tilley hats and similar hats? Can you put magnifiers and lights on the brim? Or are they too floppy for that?

After a stern warning from my skin Dr this year I switched from a ball cap to a Henschel Breezer Hat. What sold me was the ventilated top, and it is much cooler than my ball cap and other wide brims I have.

The brim isn't stiff enough for my hat-light, but it feels sturdy enough for a light-weight magnifier. Of course YMMV.

EG

Leather hats cool? No way is a leather hat going to be cool. IMO they are hot, heavy and stiff. When the temps moderate up I wear a straw hat made by Dorfman Pacific Co., it resembles the "Indiana Jones" hat in shape. It is very lightweight, keeps the sun off your face and neck and the air flows right thru it so it keeps you cool. You hardly know you are even wearing it.

It's pretty cool. I mean, not open mesh cool, but not bad. Certainly a heck of a lot cooler than felt, which I had before and got rid of because it was too hot. I'd guess pretty equivalent to canvas like the cotton duck, and pretty equivalent to the all cloth type ball caps.

It is most certainly NOT stiff. We're not talking gun holster leather here, it's thin suede. There's two part that hold their shape. A wire around the brim, and one that rims the top outline. I don't think they're metal, they're still very deformable, but they pop back to shape.

But if you sit it on the ground, the bucket collapses under it's own weight, despite being pretty light. And without that wire, the brim would be like a boonies hat. So, not at all stiff.

On that link, mine is either the hat in pouch or the bac pac traveller (suede version). Not sure which, as I bought it in person, and the model isn't listed on the tag. In shape, it's an outback hat.

Cowboy hat - wide brim, taller bucket, brims curled up more on sides, flat walls on bucket, crown can be flat or creased

Outback hat - medium brim, short bucket, brims not curled as much, bucket walls tapered, flat teardrop shaped crown.

Fedora - short brim turned UP, medium bucket, heavily tapered walls, crease on the crown.

Safari hat - Much like a fedora, with the brim turned down, and usually a bit wider.

Indiana Jones had a felt safari/fedora.

Back