Brief Review of Simms® Freestone® Vibram Wading Boots

DGC

DGC

Heavy. Very heavy. Rather rigid. Boxy toe, so plenty of room. Rubber sole has rubber cleats. Grip is very good on the freestones I have tried them on, surprisingly so. This is without metal cleats, btw.

The hard rubber cleats may wear over time. Will that reduce traction? Time will tell.

Because of the weight and rigid character, I would not use these for hiking in long distances. But for rugged wading where your foot sometimes gets torqued between rocks (if you know what I mean), these should provide excellent protection.

If I had not had Cabela's credit with which to pay for them, I may not have gotten them, but since I sometimes fish Maryland where felt is outlawed, I wanted something without felt.

Paid $130.00

Simms Freestone Vibram Wading Boot

I would like to add a few things to your review if I may. First off these boots are EXTREMELY comfortable. Over the past 4 months on average I fish 4-5 days a week in these boots and I've spent numerous 12-14 hr days in these boots without any discomfort at all. As far as being heavy I don't feel they are heavy at all. Rubber soles are naturally heavier than felt but by no means heavy. The furthest I've hiked in them was just over 5 miles on one of those 12-14hr outings again with no discomfort. I will say this about the Simms studs...don't waste your money! I have them on my boots just to try them out but was not happy with them(not just because they were $50). I ended up purchasing clod hopper studs online and love them(not just because they were $15 for 100 studs) Bottom line is if your in the market for a pair of rubber soled boots don't hesitate on buying a pair of Freestone boots. I just hope Simms doesn't change or discontinue them.

Hey delta was looking around for these clod hopper studs. Didn't pop on google. Maybe I am looking at the wrong place.
But I did manage to find these.

http://www.westbranchangler.com/WBSFAHB109S/Simms_hardbite_star_cleat.html?id=JAcSXFZW

I have these boots. So far they have treated me well. Much better with studs/Kold kutters.

I have these boots. So far they have treated me well. Much better with studs/Kold kutters.

Lol.....Yep what he said. Don't ask me where I came up with "clod hopper". lol. I ordered them from Melinda's Fly and Tackle shop in Altmar, NY 315-298-2993. Just don't ask for "clod hoppers" who knows what you'll get. They have them in 2 sizes 3/8 and 1/2in. I have the 3/8 in my boots.Havent lost one or slipped yet!

LOL. Sounds like we're taking a negative review and turning it around here...

I have these boots as well and would not call them heavy at all. I find them extremely comfortable just as delta does. I have hiked in them as well with no discomfort. I find the boots a really great buy and would recommend them.

Personally I hate rubber soles or vibram whatever they want to call it.

Vibram is just a brand name. Just like tires, every company has a different type of rubber, and they have very real differences, though there are always tradeoffs. Generally softer rubbers grip better, but wear down quicker, and usually crack easier.

I have been using the Simms Vibram Sole Wading Shoes for two seasons and I love them. They have very good grip, with studs installed, and they don't make the mess that felt soles do.

I like being able to throw a trash bag on the car seat and just driving to a different section of stream without bringing along a bunch of mud and water from my felt bottom wading shoes.

They also are much better for climbing banks and hillsides when getting to and from the water. Felt soles can make both a bit treacherous at times, especially in the winter.

Just my thoughts,

Shock

Update after today's trip. I will be adding studs after all. On the unusually slippery freestone I was on today, rubber by itself was not adequate.

While I don't have the Freestones I do have the Riverguides, and they use the same soles. I like the boots, but the soles blow. At first I added just the cleats, but I needed more. Then I added the studs. I now have $270 invested into OK boots. Unless you are fishing on softer sedimentary rocks I would try the Aluminium cleats over the Hardbites.

I should have a few hundred cold cutter studs at the jam should anyone want to buy some without tax, shipping, etc. I bought 500 or 1000. Csoult, becker a,few others an I are using them and they are by far superior to simms studs and $10 or so per 50

by jdaddy on 2012/5/12 23:05:21 I should have a few hundred cold cutter studs at the jam should anyone want to buy some without tax, shipping, etc. I bought 500 or 1000. Csoult, becker a,few others an I are using them and they are by far superior to simms studs and $10 or so per 50

I guess that's one way to put a $150 pure profit in your pocket. Or anyone looking to pick some up can order them online from Melinda's Fly and Tackle shop in Altmar, NY for $12 + $3 shipping and tax free (unless you live in NY) for 100 studs. Or order them from EBAY for $14+shipping for 250. Just some other options for you guys. At $49.95 for 1000 I think $10 for 50 studs is just a little greedy JMHO

might be a good idea to try these on. I say that because my other pair of simms boots fit me in a size 9, but the freestone ones are too small for me in size 9

Jdaddy keep some for me.

Thanks

Rick

delta_dog wrote:
by jdaddy on 2012/5/12 23:05:21 I should have a few hundred cold cutter studs at the jam should anyone want to buy some without tax, shipping, etc. I bought 500 or 1000. Csoult, becker a,few others an I are using them and they are by far superior to simms studs and $10 or so per 50

I guess that's one way to put a $150 pure profit in your pocket. Or anyone looking to pick some up can order them online from Melinda's Fly and Tackle shop in Altmar, NY for $12 + $3 shipping and tax free (unless you live in NY) for 100 studs. Or order them from EBAY for $14+shipping for 250. Just some other options for you guys. At $49.95 for 1000 I think $10 for 50 studs is just a little greedy JMHO

note : I said "or so" as I didnt remember the details of the deal. I made the offer here and else where to sell them at cost, which is exactly my intent. All the ones I have sold have been at cost. Most I have given away or donated to raffles. If you knew me you would know better. is this attack due to the fact that I ignored you and all your stupid entitled questions about tying benches (of which 100% of gross proceeds goes to local conservation efforts)?

note : I said "or so" as I didnt remember the details of the deal. I made the offer here and else where to sell them at cost, which is exactly my intent. All the ones I have sold have been at cost. Most I have given away or donated to raffles. If you knew me you would know better. is this attack due to the fact that I ignored you and all your stupid entitled questions about tying benches (of which 100% of gross proceeds goes to local conservation efforts)?

Relax guy......I just wanted to let others know there are other options out there. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or bad mouth you I just wanted to let others know that they can get the same studs but more of them elsewhere. If your intentions are charitable then awesome and I hope you sell them all. As far as my "stupid entitled questions about tying benches" I sent you a PM about purchasing 1 of them for my daughter and you replied "Yes I have a few of them around here" so I sent another PM saying I wanted one and never heard from you again. Granted I sent numerous messages because that was when the PM's were not working right. So I was talking to Ed and asked if he knew you and he said yes and would relay my message to you. All you had to say was I don't make them anymore and that would have been the end of that. I'm actually glad you didn't have any because I had a blast making 1 with my daughters help out of some 200 yr old oak from a barn in Gettysburg. If you ever get over your condition I have plenty of beams left and your welcome to them if you want any.

Back