Brandywine River Section

M

msteindl

I live in Chester County near Chadds Ford. I've mainly been fishing White Clay and DHALO section in Downingtown. I drove up past West Valley Creek this past weekend but it didn't seem to appealing... I was wondering if anyone has fished the lower section of the Brandywine River down by Pocopson?

Looking for a spot along this section I could hit after work for a few hours before the sun goes down. I read a forum post on here from 2020 stating a couple spots to park including Shaw's Bridge Park and Pocopson Walking Trail. I'll likely try these spots out just didn't know if anyone else had any other suggestions.

Also, I checked the stocking schedule and noticed no sections in this area get stocked but a few smaller tributaries in that area do. If you've fished this portion of the Brandywine have you seen trout and is it worth it? Thanks in advance for any knowledge.

It's definitely worth fishing from "Chadds" up to the "branches" but not for trout...

No trout at Shaw's Bridge Park area, but people have caught some musky in that area.
A bit farther down, where Pocopson Creek enters the Brandywine (south of 926) you might find some stockers. Pocopson Creek is stocked and some probably migrate down to the Brandywine.

I fish the Downingtown stretches as it close to where I work and have done ok. I fished it on the 11th, 12th, and 14th of April and have caught 8 trout out if it, 7 bows and a lone brown. I find these areas can fish well when stocked (obviously) but there will also be a few holdovers left that the spin bros forget about. Right now the Hemlock boy types should be making their way off of the creek as their Power Bait is no longer working, so confident and competent fly anglers can now pick it apart.

I have fished the Chadds Ford area. I have caught no trout there. It's a nice summertime fishery. I can catch a few 2-3 pound smallmouth there in the summer tossing streamers. Also a FANTASTIC redbreast and fallfish fishery. My preferred rod for that area is a SAGE Method 9'6" 6wt. Sadly I no longer has this rod or any 9'6" 6wts for that matter (need to fix that!). Oh, if you ever come across a pair of Costa Brine 580G's with the green mirror lens and tortoise frames, they're mine, though I suspect those shades have made their way to the Delaware by now.

Dang I bet you have a pair of nippers that cost more than my entire outfit.
IMG 2374

Back