Brandywine early March

S

Striperbobby

I fished a non stocked section of the Brandywine on Monday. I was itching to get out after the Lancaster show and warmer temps. Was only hoping to catch a few fallfish but was surprised to have a really good day landing 5 trout, one bass, and 15 fallfish. Lots of fun on the 2 weight!

Congrats on your unusual trout catch. The trout catch was pretty impressive if you were fishing the main stem of the Brandywine and not the East or West Branches. PFBC biologists have only located one trib to the main stem that supports a wild trout population. The East Branch would be a second trib that technically does, but its wild trout population is well upstream in a segment of its stocked section, as are 5-6 wild trout tribs to the East Branch.

Targeting trout in the West Branch at this time of the year would be a possibility if an angler has the interest to do some exploring. The West Branch below its stocked trout section to its confluence with the East Branch receives flow from 9-10 tribs that support generally moderately low density to very low density wild trout populations. Perhaps with that number of wild trout tribs there are enough trout in that branch to seasonally target them with a positive outlook, but fairly low expectations. One never knows unless one tries a few times, however.

Cool report, any pictures of the trout you caught? Or what species?

I've always wondered about transient trout in the Brandywine since I live nearby.

There are some private stockings that happen on the West Branch below the state stocked sections. Not sure where you were fishing but certain sections of both E and W branches have received state stocked fish already as has the Pocopson Creek that feeds into the Brandywine.

Cool report, any pictures of the trout you caught? Or what species?

I've always wondered about transient trout in the Brandywine since I live nearby.

Attachments

• 7BD73B31-4C6E-4E81-B624-05C60BD7B569.jpeg
    7BD73B31-4C6E-4E81-B624-05C60BD7B569.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 27D64F4C-A8BA-4C95-A2F6-7575378F663A.jpeg
    27D64F4C-A8BA-4C95-A2F6-7575378F663A.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 57
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

That brookie has nice colors

Back