Box Turtles

Bamboozle

When I was kid growing up just a few miles from Philadelphia in Eastern Delaware County, it was common to see box turtles. I even had one as a pet for few days before releasing it, although I realize now that wasn't very smart.

I know the reasons for their declining numbers but they are found in all 67 counties in PA and I've read PA is a stronghold in the Northeast, but I haven't seen a box turtle in ANY county in PA since I last saw one walking across my backyard in Northampton County close to 30 years ago.

Anybody seeing box turtles where they live, work or play?

Helped this guy across the road in Pike County this summer. First box turtle I have seen in quite some time. They were common when I was a child.

Attachments

• 20240720_103930.jpg
    20240720_103930.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 38
I know a large area in Bucks Co where they are still pretty common, but I don‘t even see dead ones smashed on country roads where I typically bike in Northampton and Lehigh Co’s. Biking is an effective way to find all kinds of dead critters.

In 1998 I moved into a newly built house which I reside in to this day I planted crownvetch on the hillside the big purple flowers you see on the side of many highways in the years following I had so many box turtles laying there eggs on this clay laiden sunny side of the hill that I used to mark them with the wife’s fingernail polish I was up to # 16 one year they were every where ,the crownvetch eventually died off and the turtles moved away surprisingly the nail polish lasted several years before you had to put the # back on any of them been 10 yrs or so since seeing any

There were lots around my house last year, none this year. My woods were wetter last year, dunno if that matters. It certainly mattered to the chanterelles.

I know a large area in Bucks Co where they are still pretty common, but I don‘t even see dead ones smashed on country roads where I typically bike in Northampton and Lehigh Co’s. Biking is an effective way to find all kinds of dead critters.
I would think there could be some interesting exchanges on bike paths with snakes in the fall with leaf color and warm afternoons.

This is the last one I saw at my house. 3 years ago. I’ve encountered a few others in the woods of central Pa since then.

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpeg
    IMG_1492.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 19
There is some concern within the herp community about their declining numbers. I have always rescued them from a road by helping them cross the rest of the way in the direction that they were heading. I really don’t understand how drivers hit the fully grown adults on country roads. Would they have also struck a rock or brick on the road of that size? If so, perhaps they should have not be driving until they had had their vision checked.

This was occurring long before the distraction of cell phones was thrown into the mix. I suspect that there are those who do so on purpose and there are many others who have no spacial concept of where there tires are traveling on a road surface. They would never pass the paper cup test ( intentionally run over paper cups in a safe location as a means to learn where one’s wheels are), but they’re great at keeping mechanics in business when striking curbs, pot holes, and the like.

Last edited:
I imagine coyotes eat mature box turtles along with the young and the eggs. Other predators include fox, skunks, raccoons, weasels and snakes.

And a$$holes who capture them for the illicit pet market...

Or are those the weasels you mentioned. 😉
Weasels are a formidal animal. I rarely see them. Once in awhile I see a glimpse of one racing across the road. I hope nobody is selling box turtles as I have not heard of that but it is not suprising. They are not as common.as in the past. Car traffic may take a toll.
I remember as a kid seeing a box turtle and after handling it, the gentile creature took a bite out of a Ritz Cracker I offered it.

Last edited:
Back