Bowmanstown Lehigh river?

T

Takem

Is it worth fishing the stretch where they hold the lunkerfest in Bowmanstown? Water looks a little crazy right now. Must of had some serious rain. Can't seem to find a water temp. I'd like to try somewhere new Saturday morning and the water temps are very high here in Chester county. Any info would be much appreciated.

If that is the general area that you like, then if the Lehigh is no good, I recommend Pohopoco...the farther downstream on unposted land the better for plumper fish.

Takem...I was thinking of fishing that area on Saturday also.I fished that area 3 days last week and know the Bowmanstown Ramp very well.
If your fishing alone and want to drive up together,PM me.
I live in West Chester,PA
In any event, the Wading Guide put out by either the LRSA or the Lehigh Cold Water Alliance is an excellent piece of intel to have memorized IMO
TL
Tom

I am pretty sure the water is too warm.

Thanks Shane.You would certainly know!!...

Thanks for the quick responses and the offer to fish. Maybe I'll wait for cooler water.

I will run down tomorrow and take a temp in the morning.

Yeah probably too warm, I was pretty high up the other day and I had 64 last Friday. The River is really high right now too

The middle river temps can not be determined by the upper river temps due to the tributaries.

That section is nice to fish, but as Becker mentioned, temps are or getting to that point where fishing only in the morning after a cool evening would be recommended. When we have high water in late spring early summer, the dam has to release the cold water at the bottom (The upper level bypass gates can only let about 220cfs through) thus wasting the cold water early. Seems its going to be the case this year. That on top of the WW releases.

That aside, I can't image water levels getting down to where you want them (2”-5” of rain on tap for this weekend)

The Po is where fly fishing legends are born!!! :-D

wgmiller wrote:

And where old men swim naked in 50 degree water!

Millsertime wrote:
wgmiller wrote:

And where old men swim naked in 50 degree water!

True.

Apparently, he makes a habit of this. :-o

Here is the gage at the mouth of the Lehigh. I would imagine Bowmanstown is running cooler. Probably looking at a good float level this weekend.

Release should be about 500-700cfs. You figure double that at Lehighton.

Temps should be OK this weekend in the Bowmanstown area, I'd guess in the mid-to-high 60s and pushing 70 during the afternoon if we get sun and heat. Probably not wadeable, but good floating conditions.

anyone know the temps in that area this week? Just had a ton of rain so I'm guessing its not wadeable friday but I'm not familiar with the area.

How is the Lehigh looking for this weekend?

Should be close to 68 degrees at the release point. I know it cools slightly through the gorge but it might be toast for the summer. Keep a close eye on the temps if you go. Levels look fine but haven't checked if they arfoing ww release

Should be ok in the morning at least...reaching the upper 60s mid-day in palmerton

Back