bowman creek

P

PJHarrington

bowman creek looks good any info becuase i have never fish it but drive by many times wondering if it has any trouts and is it worth fishing.

It's a decent stream that receives a healthy stocking. There's a FFO section but was damaged during hurricane Lee. The head waters holds wild fish. It's a larger creek, but fishes more like a river. I only fished the FFO section a few times and I was somewhat happy with it. If Jigs sees this, he might be able to give you better advice. It's not a stream to put on your bucket list.

I fish it... only because its close. Not an "awesome" stream but you can catch fish. I would start at the FFO C&R section (the bridge at Rte 292/mini mart) (cause you can get a coffee to start your fishing) and work the creek all the way down to the Sugar Hollow Diner. That's a full 6 to 8 hours of fishing. And in my humble opinion the best bang for your buck... so to speak.

Because when you end at the Diner you can have dinner! They don't mind anglers in waders and they have a rod rack on the the side of the building. Yes, you get a 10% discount if you show them your fishing license.

jjsjigs wrote:
I fish it... only because its close. Not an "awesome" stream but you can catch fish. I would start at the FFO C&R section (the bridge at Rte 292/mini mart) (cause you can get a coffee to start your fishing) and work the creek all the way down to the Sugar Hollow Diner. That's a full 6 to 8 hours of fishing. And in my humble opinion the best bang for your buck... so to speak.

Because when you end at the Diner you can have dinner! They don't mind anglers in waders and they have a rod rack on the the side of the building. Yes, you get a 10% discount if you show them your fishing license.

Nice plan Jigs (park a vehicle at both ends). >3 miles of fishing and Marsha will serve you her chicken and dumpling special at the end of the day :lol:

Above Noxon there is a fair number of wild trout and the stream is pretty nice up there. But it really took a hit during the hurricane last year.

Chaz wrote:
Above Noxon there is a fair number of wild trout and the stream is pretty nice up there. But it really took a hit during the hurricane last year.

Chaz,

I took a ride up there, I have a cabin on top of South Mountain, but I didn't fish - a real mess! It never ceases to amaze me how resilient wild trout are though, there are still fish, but if you ever fished there before, it's a whole new stream.

afishinado wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Chaz,

I took a ride up there, I have a cabin on top of South Mountain, but I didn't fish - a real mess! It never ceases to amaze me how resilient wild trout are though, there are still fish, but if you ever fished there before, it's a whole new stream.

I've fished the upper section in the SGLs. But haven't been there since the flood. When you say "it's a whole new stream," what do you mean? What did you see?

Did you take pics? I'd like to know what you saw too.

Chaz wrote:
Did you take pics? I'd like to know what you saw too.

Troutbert and Chaz,

The road was completely rebuilt by BP, to accommodate truck traffic to build windmills on top to the mountain. Needless to say, between the flood damage and the road work, much of the area in and around the stream was changed.

Here is a post I made right after the flood.

Attachments

• Bowmans at Noxen 1.JPG
    Bowmans at Noxen 1.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 9
I agree, try Sugar Hollow also. My brother-in-law has a cabin up Sugar Hollow Rd and I have been fishing there since the 80's. Bowman's was much better before all the flooding wiped it out. I was there a few weeks ago and hooked into a nice trout outside the C&R section. Lost him in a log jam. Keep working the water.

I'll be on the fly stretch this week, I'll post back.

The fly stretch fished okay, nothing spectacular but I managed a few browns, all the fish came on stripping wooly buggers and zonkers, they wanted meat and they wanted to chase it.

Olive was the color of choice.

Back