Boston area?

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Hey ya'll,
I have a trip to Boston booked next late Sept, and was looking for some fly fishing opportunities. I'll be flying in, renting a car, so I'm looking at any trips to be within an hour of Boston. I'm considering a guide, but not afraid to DIY. Anyone have experience fishing near Boston? Any info is appreciated, and thank you!

Swift River about an hour and a half north of Boston.

I'd be booking a salt charter of some kind.

Getting to the edge of town in 1.5 hours can be a challenge in Boston..
Swift river is west.
What are you looking to fish for?
If stripers, you can head south to the cape or head north to the rocky shores of cape ann (my pref.). For trout, head west to the swift or a little further to the Deerfield (my preference.)

Commutes in Boston are quite tedious. I fished a couple of streams on the Cape Cod Peninsula that were decent, but getting there on the weekend is a b*!?*, and getting there during the week even worse. Check with the area T. U. Chapter they would probably be able to be of more help.

Thanks guys, the swift looks like a nice spot and Ill check out deerfield also. Ill have to look more into a salt charter. Chaz, TU good idea, thanks.

J55tyger88 wrote:
I have a trip to Boston booked next late Sept, and was looking for some fly fishing opportunities. I'll be flying in, renting a car, so I'm looking at any trips to be within an hour of Boston. I'm considering a guide, but not afraid to DIY.

Late Sept is prime time for inshore saltwater - if it were me, I'd definitely be chasing stripers. In my view... you can catch scrawny, warmed over trout all across PA in Sept. A shot at the New England beaches in Sept is much more appealing.

If you opt for a guide, consider Monomoy or wading the flats. For DIY, I'd try to get out to the Cape and fish the surf, although this might be pushing an hour, depending on where you're located. The warnings about traffic are accurate.

Dave, good point about the trout...it's just what I'm most familiar with. I'll look into the striper thing for sure, thank you.

Lived near worcester from ‘93-97. Swift is may be the best, more famous and crowded. Better fishing, but to be honest I hated it. If you are looking for good fishing with less people-

Closer to boston than the Swift.
1. Stillwater river running into the Wachusetts reservoir Near Sterling. Look for John Dee Rd off Rt 190. It even has a Landlocked salmon run in the fall from the reservoir (2-4 lbs). It's stocked with many hold overs and some wild (at least in 1995-97).
2. I have heard from people I know from there that the Blackstone has improved tremendously since I was there, especially in places. Its south of Worcester and runs along rt122

But my favorites were tributaries spilling into the Quabbin reservoir.
Look up near Petersham. Up around 32 and 32A. Huge brookies but be ready to bush whack-probably better in Sept.

Another is the east ware river between Quabbin and Worcester- near the old Rutland prison camp. Look for Prison Camp road. Mosquitos are (were?) killers in the late/spring-early fall though.

Main Ware river, South barree and near rt32 and not far from the Swift

Thanks for the feedback, a lot of good info for me to check out.

Tyger, all I can say is striper, striper, striper. See where I am going with this? HaHa

GenCon

^^Soooooo, I should check out striper scene? Hahaha

If you are doing saltwater especially daylight fly fishing, end of September, you may want to think about false albacore. Make a little road trip to the west wall at point Judith... perfect FF spot, if fish are there they will be right at your feet. South cape, cape cod canal also would/could give shots at alberts.

I have had luck at Revere beach just north of town, you can access via public train. I believe there are some good spots just south of the city that are also productive and accessible. There used to be a good shop, Firefly Outfitters??, right in the city and they could probably help.

Or check out "Flyfishers Guide to New England Coast" by Tom Keer

Wollston Beach particularly Black creek its in Quincy Ma great Striper fishing 1 hour either side of high or low tide both FF and bait casting. Have caught bass there 36-41 inch especially Sept.

Back