Booth Bay/Pemaquid Point, Maine

hbgbswanson

hbgbswanson

Going to be in this area for a few days here in the upcoming week and figure I'll wet a line while I'm there. I can't find much info except for mackeral fishing with light spin tackle of the docks. Going to go with my limited salt box, mostly made up of clousers.

It's a dollar, I know...but do you think the NJ Salt Registration covers this criteria?

Non-Maine residents, do you have a valid Maine freshwater fishing license?

if you do, there is a check box on the freshwater application form for you to indicate you saltwater fish. Check that box and you are allowed to recreationally saltwater fish in Maine. If you are registered to engage in saltwater recreational fishing in another state, or with the National Registry, you are allowed to recreationally saltwater fish in Maine. If none of this applies, you may register by going to www.maine.gov/saltwater ($1.00), going to the DMR office, 2 Beech St., Hallowell, ME 04347, or by any appointed Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife agent ($2.00).

hbgbswanson wrote:
It's a dollar, I know...but do you think the NJ Salt Registration covers this criteria?

Honestly, the whole salt registration thing has been so confused for so many years nobody really seems to know which registrations cover what states. If I had to hazard a guess, the NJ registration probably doesn't cover ME. I was just up in that area and I registered (for a dollar as you point out) so I could fish the salt and not have to worry.

Regarding fishing, I have never fished the area you describe, but there should be stripers around. We got skunked on the Saco River a couple weeks ago, but there are plenty of reports of fish around. Like surf fishing everywhere, it's hit or miss. Where I fish in ME, which is further south in the vicinity of Kennebunkport, the beaches are mostly rocky points and the rocks are kelp covered. The tides are very high up in that area, so it is best to fly fish at high tide, otherwise you have to walk out on the kelp covered rocks during low tide. I can do this with Korkers and a wading staff but I don't push my luck. It's just easier to fish at high tide in the rocky areas. Have some Clousers with weed guards. You'll probably be glad you did.

Thanks FI, appreciate it. I'm not very confident when it comes to salt, but to be honest I've been compromised by weather more than anything else in my past attempts. And you can't catch anything without trying I guess.

Going to have to figure out how to put aftermarket weed guards on my arsenal. :-D

don't let weather scary you away from the salt. my best days come when there is a 20 mph find blowing on shore. fish get tight to the beach and are more aggressive. over lining is one trick or use a shooting head to get more distance. stripers like big nasty water.

Back