Boot Foot Studs

djs12354

djs12354

Wondering if anyone has ever added studs to boot foot waders?

I'm using strap on studded soles now and would really prefer to stud the boot, but am leery of damaging the sole!

Thoughts?

if they are new with a good sole, you can stud the lugs.

My experience is its a total waste of time! I had the Simms G3 lug sole boots that were designed to add studs. I installed them with a dab of urethane and didn't over tighten them (over tightening them will strip it out). The torque put on them while walking on the stream bed is just too much to hold them. I lost around 20 studs and sent them back under warranty. I got the warranty pair and it did the same thing along with tearing the rubber sole. Its just too much torque and stress put on them to have the screw in type studs stay attached to the sole. I sent that pair of G3s back as well.

IF you do decide to stud your boots I'd get the Kold Kutter studs designed for motorcycles. They are cheap (not as big of a deal when you lose them) and work as well as anything else out there.

Thanks for the responses!

May give it a shot with the Kold Kutters

They ain't cheap but they work and HOLD much better than a sheet metal screw:

http://www.gripstuds.com/

I presently use them in a pair of Muck Chore Boots and never lost a stud in over 5 years. I've also used them in felt & rubber wading shoes and never lost one.

You have to pick the right size and make a pilot hole and screw it in so it just barely protrudes which is the reason sheet metal screws come out...

...they stick out too far.

Those look pretty good. That's the sort if thread design that the Simms (and ithers) studs should have had from day one for the price they charge. It'll be interesting to see if FFing companies adopt this style of screw in stud. However, I'm thinking that the industry is moving towards aluminum bars for traction.

I have been using the Kold Kutters for many years with great success.

PennKev wrote:
Those look pretty good. That's the sort if thread design that the Simms (and ithers) studs should have had from day one for the price they charge. It'll be interesting to see if FFing companies adopt this style of screw in stud. However, I'm thinking that the industry is moving towards aluminum bars for traction.

Aluminum is far from the ultimate solution as there are many places where you still need the BITE of a sharp or pointy stud to keep from killing yourself.

Case in point, there are a few places I fish where plain felt is just OK but hairy, rubber is a joke and something as hard as carbide studs are like ice skates. At those places, I've tried taking out my carbide studs and putting in plain old #8 ALUMINUM sheet metal screws.

When I first go out, they grip FANTASTIC when they are new but by the end of the day when they are about worn out, they suck.

Which only goes to prove at this particular creek, the aluminum bars would be worse than carbide because you need the BITE of a sharp, but not carbide stud.

Putting in brand new Cold Cutters each and every time I fish there is another option but again, they are worse than aluminum when they get dull and constantly replacing studs on a multi day trip is a pain.

Bottom line, different options is the only guarantee for not breaking your neck.

I wore the bars on the north branch once....Fifteen minutes later I went back and switched out the soles for the studded rubber. Those bars on round rocks will get you hurt. Nothing grips anywhere near the studded rubber soles by korkers imo. To my knowledge no other boot company offers anything close. Wouldn't wear them in a drift boat though, the carbide tips dig into everything, including my front porch.

3pSNuwD.jpg

ryansheehan wrote:
Nothing grips anywhere near the studded rubber soles by korkers imo. To my knowledge no other boot company offers anything close. Wouldn't wear them in a drift boat though, the carbide tips dig into everything, including my front porch.

Agree.

I have long used the Korkers strap-on sandal that fits over boots. They really grip like nothing else.

I spend a lot of time on slimy jetty rocks and in Susquehanna River ledge rock...and I won't go out without carbide cleats. I assume they still make these? Mine have lasted a long time - much longer than the many pairs of wading boots I've worn out over the years. I think these are a good investment (and you can take 'em off before you get in that drift boat).

Yes, they still make them. I haven't tried those because I use the interchangeable soles. If I had a different pair of boots I would be sure to strap some on before fishing the yough, north branch, etc.

Thanks to all for the replies and thoughts. I think I will stick with the strap-on studded soles for now.

I'm glad to see others have had negative effects with aluminum cleats! Aluminum forms around objects and is GREAT on rough surfaces like concrete and asphalt. Rough surfaces bite into aluminum. Problem is how many of us fish a stream that has "rough" surfaces? I know I don't unless I'm standing on a bridge pier! The streams I fish the rocks are about as smooth as they get! I was on a large smooth bolder up Loyalsock Creek last year with Simms Alumabite cleats. Right at the edge of the bolder it dropped off over my head. I started sliding right down that bolder like I had ice skates on! I fell down and was able to roll around to grab the top of the bolder before I went in. There was no bite at all with the aluminum. For hard smooth rock I'd much rather have a steel carbide or something hard that will bite into the stone.

Second on the Kold Kutter studs...they hold pretty well and are cheap! I am due to replace mine soon though.

Shame on the big brands charging $30 for 20 studs...

I don't think there is any perfect stud/thread material. After all, we are walking on wet, round, slimy rocks.

The Simms studs are a joke in regard to how much they cost. I too am a kold kutter convert but only so I can keep my Simms G3's going. They're great boots but the studs almost seem like an afterthought to the design.

With that said, fishermen that I know personally are sold on the aluminum bar design from Patagonia and I trust their evaluation. Like I said, nothing is going to be perfect, but it shouldn't be too hard to improve on the glorified sheet metal screw stud design that is so common.

I have a pair of Patagonia strap on aluminum bars. My son got them for me several years ago. I use them if I am wading places that are difficult for me, in unfamiliar water and on the Erie tribs if I’m going to do multiple stream crossings/covering water. Do not need them on my home waters. They are a bit heavy and clunky but for where I fish they grip well. On smooth shale or bowling ball rocks, as Kev says nothing is perfect. I don’t know if this is the best out there but I have a lot more confidence wearing them. I’m sure there are places where they won’t work so well but these are the best for me that I have worn to date. I do try to wade with caution especially in high, cold water trying to stop and evaluate before doing something stupid. I can take a spill no matter what’s on my feet.

PennKev wrote:
I don't think there is any perfect stud/thread material. After all, we are walking on wet, round, slimy rocks.

The Simms studs are a joke in regard to how much they cost. I too am a kold kutter convert but only so I can keep my Simms G3's going. They're great boots but the studs almost seem like an afterthought to the design.

With that said, fishermen that I know personally are sold on the aluminum bar design from Patagonia and I trust their evaluation. Like I said, nothing is going to be perfect, but it shouldn't be too hard to improve on the glorified sheet metal screw stud design that is so common.

I had the Simms G3 boots with the lug sole and their screw in stud design was a complete failure for me! I sent my first pair back after a month and a half of use and losing 20+ studs. I started losing studs on my second outing. I installed them exactly how they told me and even used a dab of urethane. I was even using the Simms designed Alumabite cleats and the Hardbite studs. That's a lot of money to be losing. Sent that pair back under warranty and the second pair did the same thing. That pair the rubber sole even started tearing and the red guts part out that I believe the screw in stud is supposed to anchor into. Its just too much torque put on them while walking on the stream beds. I sent that pair back too and now I am using Korkers. I'm hoping they are the answer for me!

Back