Books-pa stream guide

sipe

sipe

What book would you buy as a guide for planning fishing days around the state to help with access and insight?

Wolf?
Landis?
Some other guide?

Landis. I have Wolf and Landis and both are great books but I prefer Landis.

Landis. been going fishing with me for a long time now.

Landis!

Landis. BTW...Anyone know if there are plans for another updated edition?

double00 wrote:

I am Sure he can answer that.

yeah, I wouldn't mind getting an updated one, mine is either the first or second edition, and it's getting rather worn, but I'll never get rid of it, just retire it to the book collection.

Landis by a mile!

double00 wrote:

Maybe some day, but not soon. I'd be interested in any suggestions for improving it, though.

Some of the needed updates in regs, stocking etc. I'm aware of.

But if there are other types of changes you think would be helpful, let me know.

I can't imagine any "serious" trout fisherman not having Trout Streams of Pennsylvania by Dwight Landis. I also can't imagine him re-doing that book, time wise.

I don't own either book, but I found both Dwight's book and Charlie Meck's quite helpful in finding streams and learning how to find streams. For the cost, buying both is a good idea. Or buy Dwight's and borrow Meck's from the library. :cool:

Landis. My edition even has his autograph! Woo hoo!

Wolf! My edition even has his stank it. :)

I wish he'd come on here, but his days on the water are getting farther and farther between and he has his own website for the cabin fever.
No offense Dwight!

1. You will have trouble finding it, but the late Mike Sajna's PA Trout and Salmon Guide is the most enjoyable guide to read. It includes a lot of interesting local historical info, and his stream info is as accurate as any of the rest. However, written back in the 1980s, it is dated.
2. Dwight Landis's guide has nice maps in it, and his info seems to be pretty reliable, too. His material is more up to date than Sajna's.
3. The Meck guide is so-slo. On some of the streams with which I am familiar, Meck's fly information is not accurate.
4. The Wolf book, though it looks nice, is not very thorough. Wolf is spot-on with his n/c PA info, as that is where he came from. His bass stream info is probably all right, too. However, he fails to mention many streams. One of the streams he notes hatches for has not ever seen these flies, at least in the past 3 generations. I think he relied too much on hearsay for trout streams outside of n/c PA.
-- If you are going to plunk down the money for one, Landis's is probably the best one right now, though if you can get ahold of Sajna's and like historical anecdotes, you might like it best.

I bought Sajna's on Amazon and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am a big fan of the Dave Wolf book...Mostly for sentimental reasons. Most of my early exporation of PA streams was based out of that book, and some of his stories make me feel that he would be a heck of a guy to just sit alongside a famous PA stream with and have a chat while watching mayflies floating down downstream.

For me Landis first and Meck a close second. I have met both of the authors and nicer men you will never meet. Watching Charlie Meck cast is like watching Michelangelo paint.

I found a copy of Sajna's book at a 2nd hand store, picked it up for 2 bucks!

rrt wrote:
1. You will have trouble finding it, but the late Mike Sajna's PA Trout and Salmon Guide is the most enjoyable guide to read. It includes a lot of interesting local historical info, and his stream info is as accurate as any of the rest. However, written back in the 1980s, it is dated.
2. Dwight Landis's guide has nice maps in it, and his info seems to be pretty reliable, too. His material is more up to date than Sajna's.
3. The Meck guide is so-slo. On some of the streams with which I am familiar, Meck's fly information is not accurate.
4. The Wolf book, though it looks nice, is not very thorough. Wolf is spot-on with his n/c PA info, as that is where he came from. His bass stream info is probably all right, too. However, he fails to mention many streams. One of the streams he notes hatches for has not ever seen these flies, at least in the past 3 generations. I think he relied too much on hearsay for trout streams outside of n/c PA.
-- If you are going to plunk down the money for one, Landis's is probably the best one right now, though if you can get ahold of Sajna's and like historical anecdotes, you might like it best.

Sajna's book is actually fairly easy to find (at least relative to some other PA angling books I've looked for, like The Vanishing Trout). I'm pretty sure I thumbed through it when I was a youngster and would hang out at the chain bookstores, looking at hunting and fishing books. Seeing as it wasn't in my home library, I just snagged a copy off of Ebay, so thanks for the pointer rrt.

Back