Books, Charts, Online... where to start?!

TigerTrout4wt

TigerTrout4wt

So I just got home this morning from my hernia surgery... I cant really move from my chair.... I am just looking up as much info i can find about how to read all types of insects. Im more of a book kind of guy. I have tried looking on the beginner forum section of here and found great info. I just didnt know if anyone had anymore successful info or more info in any books that could go more in detail of them? The three books are what i have at the moment. they only go into small detail on this.

Attachments

• book1.jpg
    book1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 4
  • book2.jpg
    book2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 3
I realize you're more of a book guy, but have you checked out the website Troutnut?

If not, it's worth a visist - great resource.

Troutnut

Here is the most comprehensive hatch chart I know of, created by Charlie Meck.

The chart will take you through the season of hatches chronologically. Just search Troutnut for any or all hatches listed as being present in the East, and you will learn something about nearly every insect that hatches in the NE.

Here is another site for looking up insect hatches.

Good luck....hopefully you'll be back on your feet real soon.

Oh, and books: Hatches II for Mayflies and Caddisflies by Lafountaine

i have been doing that. A lot of good information but its almost to much to know where to even start. i can get some good basic info then it goes almost all over of what kind of insects some members see at the streams they fish. how does someone really study this subject better or am i missing info on this forum? i love books just because im a little old school plus i can read info and read sections i mark at the stream for better identifying a insect. im really looking for more help on identifying genus and species name.

thanks i hope soon last night was a little rough but i thought i would take the time to learn my insects better. also i hope once i feel better moving around the fly tying vise will be calling my name. I will look into these sources though.

TigerTrout4wt wrote:
i have been doing that. A lot of good information but its almost to much to know where to even start. i can get some good basic info then it goes almost all over of what kind of insects some members see at the streams they fish. how does someone really study this subject better or am i missing info on this forum? i love books just because im a little old school plus i can read info and read sections i mark at the stream for better identifying a insect. im really looking for more help on identifying genus and species name.

The Pocket Guide to PA Hatches book in your pic above is really all you need to ID all important hatches in PA. If you learn all the insects called BWO's and Sulphurs (the most common mayflies in PA), you would be miles ahead of nearly everyone on the stream.

Again, good luck and heal well.

Caddisflies by Thomas Ames. It probably has more info than you care to know, and great pics. Fishbugs, also by Ames, is a nice generalist book that only details the most common mayfly, caddisfly, and stonefly hatches. I'm also a book guy, and these are great additions to the library.

As stated above, Troutnut is a nice online resource.

so I had a chance to really look at all the information that was posted from all of you. I wanted to thank you for all the useful input everyone has given me. I have not had a chance to look at the books but i did have a opportunity to see if i could still get them. I hope to add them to my library soon. for anyone that is looking for great sources to up their knowledge on all types of bugs I would recommend all the sites that are listed. I also want to recommend the pocket guide to Pennsylvania hatches by charles meck and paul weamer is a great book for anyone that wants to start out on the stream.

afishinado wrote:
The Pocket Guide to PA Hatches book in your pic above is really all you need to ID all important hatches in PA. If you learn all the insects called BWO's and Sulphurs (the most common mayflies in PA), you would be miles ahead of nearly everyone on the stream.

Again, good luck and heal well.

This book is a solid streamside reference and a great tool for learning the basic PA hatches. It's small enough to be very portable, which is great for quick reference!

Complete Guide to Eastern Hatches. By Fuller and Ames. Very informative.
The above mentioned pocket guide is great too.

"Keystone Fly Fishing" is a great book. It has the vast majority of trout streams listed in it. Giving a detailed description of fish, hatches, and environment. Also has great information on stream access. It's worth the 15-20$ ????

Troutnut.com is a great resource. It's organized biologically, with order, family, genus, species, etc.

The hard part, even for experts, is comparing scientific classification to common name. Especially when the latter varies by region. Frankly, the scientific classification makes more sense. For instance, BWO covers at least a dozen species from entirely different families, with major differences in regard to habitat, hatching behavior, etc. But March Browns and cahills are very close relations, and aside from slight differences in size, color, and time of year, act very much the same.

What you'll find when learning bugs, is that you don't need no science for size and color. Anyone can just see that. Where knowing the exact bug matters is behavior. Does this species inhabit silt, gravel, or heavy currents? So when it starts hatching, you know what water to seek out. Does it molt on the bottom, and "fly" to the surface? Think wet flies. Crawl to shallow rocks? Well then fish nymphs in pocket water. Or swim to the surface and emerge on top? If the dun ain't working, try a floating nymph. Well, big t storm downed all spinners. You should know the sulfur spinners will be back tomorrow, cause they return in 1 day. But March Browns take 3-5.

I dove in deep years ago and purchased Hatches II by Caucci & Nastasi and although it's an excellent reference I thought it was too in depth for my beginner status.

The Pocket Guide might be a better starter guide especially a paperback that you can carry streamside.

"Especially when the latter varies by region" how true, I'm in the Northeast PA region and had my 1st trip to Penns Creek last spring, never had I seen insects like that before

pcray1231 wrote:
Troutnut.com is a great resource. It's organized biologically, with order, family, genus, species, etc.

The hard part, even for experts, is comparing scientific classification to common name. Especially when the latter varies by region. Frankly, the scientific classification makes more sense. For instance, BWO covers at least a dozen species from entirely different families, with major differences in regard to habitat, hatching behavior, etc. But March Browns and cahills are very close relations, and aside from slight differences in size, color, and time of year, act very much the same.

What you'll find when learning bugs, is that you don't need no science for size and color. Anyone can just see that. Where knowing the exact bug matters is behavior. Does this species inhabit silt, gravel, or heavy currents? So when it starts hatching, you know what water to seek out. Does it molt on the bottom, and "fly" to the surface? Think wet flies. Crawl to shallow rocks? Well then fish nymphs in pocket water. Or swim to the surface and emerge on top? If the dun ain't working, try a floating nymph. Well, big t storm downed all spinners. You should know the sulfur spinners will be back tomorrow, cause they return in 1 day. But March Browns take 3-5.

Good points above. One of the most valuable bits of info is Meck's hatch chart I mentioned above here.

It listed nearly every insect hatch by region, gives the common as well as scientific name, approximate hatch date, time of day, size of fly, what level in the water it hatches (or crawls out of the water to hatch), what type of water it inhabits.

Great chart.

Back