Book Review: Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throughout the year trout feed a disproportional amount of the time under the water. For me even during a recent sulphur hatch on Spring Creek trout were not rising and could be seen actively feeding below the surface. George Daniel's book, Dynamic Nymphing, offers an extensive look at tactics and strategies that get to the heart of subsurface nymph fishing.

dynonymphing.jpg
I enjoy all the puzzles that fly-fishing provides and always appreciate ways to overcome those challenges. George shares the best of these techniques in solving many of these trials with his book in a wonderful format of instruction, photography and sketches for some of the best approaches to nymph fishing.

A range of chapters provide: a nymphing systems overview, riggings, casting techniques, tight-line tactics, fly patterns, small streams, challenging locations and much more.

Anglers not as familiar with all aspects nymph fishing or looking to extend their subsurface skills will quickly enjoy all facets of this book.

For example George provides details for the Curly Q rig, which is ideal for shallow water and longer casting requirements. This may be a more advanced technique for some and is broken down into a couple parts within the book for use and clarification. Explanations of how to make the Curly Q and ways to cast this rig are completely covered. In addition, he provides many other detailed leader formulas making it easy to understand where and when to implement these different strategies.

Dynamic Nymphing provides several for tight-line tactics, which is a method of nymphing without the use of a suspension support device. Joe Humphreys mentored George and details of the Harvey/Humphrey high-stick methods are explained along with several European nymphing styles as well.

George provides well over 60 detailed fly patterns ranging from pheasant tails to Czech nymphs. All these flies are beautifully photographed and chronicled.

For those looking to explore wild brook streams or find themselves in other challenging spots there are several chapters that take you off your typical stream and provide options in some adverse nymph fishing situations.

While I have been fly fishing for quite some time, I can get bit lackadaisical with my approach to the sport. Too often I stick with what I know. What I liked most about Dynamic Nymphing for me was getting me out of my comfort zone and to try some techniques I have not yet mastered. For those newer to the sport the Dynamic Nymphing provides a wealth of information that will certainly help improve their fly-fishing opportunities at many levels.

Dynamic Nymphing: Tactics, Techniques, and Flies from Around the World [Hardcover] by George Daniel can be found on Amazon here
ir

georgedanielfamily.jpg
George Daniel is assistant manager at TCO Fly Shop, in State College, PA. He travels the country conducting fly-fishing clinics for various groups and organizations. George is a former member and current Head Coach of Fly Fishing Team USA. Some of his accomplishments include being a two time national fly fishing champion, won The Fly Fishing Masters, and ranked as high as fifth in the World along with other competitive achievements. The title of the book will be “Dynamic Nymphing.” He lives near Lamar, Pennsylvania. If you want to keep up with George in the Internet you can follow him on his Facebook page here.

just_jon
I freely admit to being a dry fly snob who would stand by smoking a cigar and sipping of bourbon from my flask waiting for the hatch to begin. One of my fishing new years resolutions was to become a better nymph fisherman. I credit this book as well as Aaron Jasper's videos as the basis for the success I've enjoyed this year. Fish caught nymphing outnumber those caught on dries 10-1 thus far. In fact, last week, I continued nymphing right on through a great sulphur hatch and outfished by friend who fished dries only.

Last edited:
just_jon
I freely admit to being a dry fly snob who would stand by smoking a cigar and sipping of bourbon from my flask waiting for the hatch to begin. One of my fishing new years resolutions was to become a better nymph fisherman. I credit this book as well as Aaron Jasper's videos as the basis for the success I've enjoyed this year. Fish caught nymphing outnumber those caught on dries 10-1 thus far. In fact, last week, I continued nymphing right on through a great sulphur hatch and outfished by friend who fished dries only.

Last edited:
just_jon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back