Bones and Dungeon Entrances

drakeking412

drakeking412

My posting is never in a timely fashion as it should be but here is a fun little one. Last week I decided to make a two day trip up to Central PA to pick up a cooler and do some fishing since there had been some rain and I was hoping to get back to some of my usual haunts. I fished BFC most of the first day and fishing was tough as the water is cold but very low and clear. I fished a parachute ant because "match the hatch" and had little success but switched to my go to snowshoe caddis and started to get eats. Go figure.

I did a little exploring up and downstream also since I had the time and went to check on a shot I'm sure some of you know about below the narrows. To my surprise it was bones! It was really cool to walk the creek bed and see all of the geology as well as the different runs and holes. I love going to places in very low water conditions sometimes just to see what it's really like and this was super cool to see. The larger beds seemed like a limestone (no HCL to test) but I did bust a little hand sample off for you geo nerds out there. A fellow board member confirmed he has heard it goes underground there but has never seen it, really cool to see and super interesting.

I've also included a photo to a nearby dungeon entrance. Some of you may know the stream this is on. Anyone have an idea what it is? Also how much for you to go explore it? I'm sitting in the thousands...

https://imgur.com/a/0maqZ1V

That is some of the magic of these conditions. We didnt wish It but we got it. I’m in Potter and wow it is dry.

I'm familiar with that area of Fishing Creek where I80 crosses over east of Lamar, where the waters sinks down into the limestone. That section goes dry every year during low flow periods, not just during droughts.

Downstream from there are several springs that bring Fishing Creek back up to full volume.

Where was the last photo taken? It looks familiar, but I can't place it.

Fishing creek has numerous "losing" sections that go dry during most seasonally low periods. The section in your pictures went dry last year as well. There a numerous spots above the narrows between Tylersville and Logan ton that run dry during these times as well. Did you see any dead fish in the dry section?

tb pm sent

lyco thats really interesting and seeing the geology it totally makes sense. I did know above the narrows it ran dry but not lower and in that larger section. I'd like to really explore it sometime because just the small section was nice to see. I did not see any dead or trapped fish but I didn't go too too far. I just checked a couple of runs and pools and it looks like everybody got the memo.

Back