blueheron

Started my bonefish box.

Attachments

• 61F90442-F794-4101-91EC-570A15B97833.jpeg
    61F90442-F794-4101-91EC-570A15B97833.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 11
Those will fish. :)

Do you have any in heavier weights?
In my experience (mainly the FL Keys) it is helpful to have some heavier ones tied with lead eyes rather than bead chain. In the Keys, the fish are often cruising flats that are over a foot deep and, combined with the ever present wind, a heavier fly works better.

This is just the start. After years of delayed gratification and a milestone birthday I booked a semi DIY trip to Andros Island. Didn’t tell my fishing buddies or the club guys, got myself a reputable guide, a room on the flats , an airplane ticket, two of everything I need
(already had most of it) and a new 10 weight for a possible baby tarpon. The Andros flies are apparently larger than the Florida versions, I’ll definitely tie some up with dumbbell eyes. All I really had to buy was a box of #4 saltwater hooks and some copper flash. Yessir, counting the days. Oh , these flies also make me laugh, visually that is.
I like to laugh.

More of the same but different

Attachments

• C3110315-0001-4751-9B51-5DA02763EF39.jpeg
    C3110315-0001-4751-9B51-5DA02763EF39.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 6
Blue Heron, just food for thought. I have fished Andros more than once. 1st time I went I had mostly flys with bead chain eyes. I spent my evenings tying flys with lead eyes. That's what worked the best. I also found on bright days flys that were tied very sparse with very little flash worked the best. If you fish shallow lighter bottom areas you will see huge schools of smaller fish. 2-3 lbs. Don't get me wrong they are a lot of fun. But if you want to find larger fish move out to deeper water. I found flats with slight drop offs where the water went from 18'' deep to maybe 3 or 4' deep is were you will find larger fish. These fish will be moving fast so I found standing back across the current and watching up current you could get a cast out 15' or more in front of them and retrieve your flys across them as they approach. By doing this you will show your fly to several fish as they pass by. I am sure you will do fine. Andros is a incredible place. Best of luck to you.

GenCon

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate them. I just started with the lead eyes and they are pretty sparse with varying degrees of flash. I have 60 or so hooks and I’m tying them up before I go. I also take some tying scissors with me anytime I fish to trim length and bulk as needed. See you at the tying jam, I’ll tie the fly that worked best.

These flies look great. What kind of fly box is that? A Wheatley?

blueheron wrote:
Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate them. I just started with the lead eyes and they are pretty sparse with varying degrees of flash. I have 60 or so hooks and I’m tying them up before I go. I also take some tying scissors with me anytime I fish to trim length and bulk as needed. See you at the tying jam, I’ll tie the fly that worked best.

It will be great to see you at the jam. You are certainly welcome on the tips. I've fished for bones quit a bit. Andros, Abaco, Mexico and the Keys. One other thing if you have a 9wt rod that is what you should use. Its almost always windy.

GenCon

Started on the barbells. I took a picture of the box also, old school that it is. This is fun after tying little complicated flies.

Attachments

• DF27CF43-C629-4DD5-A42E-C6896236C04D.jpeg
    DF27CF43-C629-4DD5-A42E-C6896236C04D.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 5B8148A6-49A9-46FA-88E5-313E4B6D3859.jpeg
    5B8148A6-49A9-46FA-88E5-313E4B6D3859.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 5
I would not use that box in the salt

Sandfly,
I hear what you’re saying but I’ve had it forever and my wife will end up selling it for a buck at a yard sale someday, probably still full of flies.

While you likely won't need as many, you should whip up a some basic tarpon flies.

I recommend a few crab flies as well. I like 'em in green over white and sand over white (body color). Small crab flies work well on bones and you might get a shot at a permit.

I never visit the flat without a couple cuda flies. You can pick whatever design you like, but make it long and slender. Cudas on the flats are hard to hook with fly gear but, if you stick a good sized one, you will be smiling for awhile. They're a blast.

Thanks Dave, I actually tied up a tarpon fly today. I thought I had some 2/0 SS hooks but I used them on some sand eel flies this fall.
I think they might work for the slender and long ones. I gladly accept any input into the bonefish world , it's all new to me. I have three weeks to prepare. Chris

Started tying some Clouser/deceiver/ tarpon flies

Attachments

• E8FFD44F-B2A8-458B-A489-2E09A08E3FBF.jpeg
    E8FFD44F-B2A8-458B-A489-2E09A08E3FBF.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 4
Still tying. Also have been out at the field casting my fate to the wind.

Attachments

• IMG_1655.JPG
    IMG_1655.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 6
They look great, sounds like a awesome trip soon to come!

Thanks, leaving on Thursday. Here’s the final box.

Attachments

• 127C75FF-E409-4A28-AC5D-AED5AA73FEDC.jpeg
    127C75FF-E409-4A28-AC5D-AED5AA73FEDC.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 3
Looks like your all set, Chris.

Good luck on your trip.

Post a report when you return.

Back