Blue Winged Olive wet fly

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

I was just tying a little and decided to try a BWO wet. I think they look okay myself. They are tied on a Mustad size 18 R30. Let me know what you think. Good or bad. It was basically a shot in the dark for me. Thanks

2-25-2011011.jpg

2-25-2011012.jpg

To hard to tell what color it is, looks cream to me. more like a cahill wet. it will do the job though. Hackle is a little to long too.

Sorry about the pictures. The dubbing is olive.

Would think quill wings, like duck, might be better, or anything in that sort of darker colour rolled into a wing. You could also do paired slips from a blue hen back, too.

Using hen will fray and move in the water quite well, you could probably reduce the collar and use just a throat then, too.

I tie mine with a greyish dubbing, and a dark brown thread rib, and about 2 turns of the darkest partridge I can find, no tail. Remember on a wet you're not looking for it to ride high like a dry, so you don't need that much hackle up front. I'll either put a small glass bead on mine, add shot, or use it tandem with something else to get it down in the water column a bit. My goal this year is to fish wets more as I've only used them a bit in prior years.

I see exactly what you are saying. On the wet fly fishing thing, I'm about the same way. I only fished a wet a little bit last year for my 1st year of flyfishing. I would really like to fish one a lot this year in tandom with the appropriate dry fly.

GEM Skues advocated very little hackle for a collar, a turn or turn and a half.

EG this flymph or this semi-flymph (herl body, dubbing loop ribbing, which IIRC is two full turns of one side of a hen feather).

looks good, i think it can serve as a good spinner too. I read that BWO's dive to the bottom when laying eggs and trap air in their wings so that wet fly would work too, maybe even twitch it...but really, without studying the water closely, how do you really know if there's good spinner activity under the water? I guess if you see some bugs hovering and no risers you should check em out cause they may be spinners. Anyone have luck with bwo spinners?

jeff

If you have a pair of duck wings use the small shoulder feathers for the hackle on that fly.

Second that on the small feathers from duck wing shoulders. You can hackle it heavy and let it swing up into the film. That will work as an emerger.

Yup go with the small feathers for wings
throat hackle

wet

i would use partridge or hen neck if you want to go the soft hackle route or a pair of quill wings in a dark greyish brown if you want to go classic wet look but the flies you have tied will catch fish

I tie cdc BWO duns and sink them with shot to fish as a wet.

Thanks again guys. I think I will get some CDC and try that. My friend has some he tied up with the CDC and they look really good.

I like simple starling soft hackles for BWOs on a Tiemco 102 size 19 hook. I like a short, slim body starting at the hook point with no tail. Spare hackle is best and sometimes using the fluffy barbs that you usually pick off works well.

Any old sort of dark body material seems fine - don't think it matters as much. Now I use a blend of brown, black and olive furs ribbed with copper in the abdomen with a little thicker thorax just because it looks cooler. Have used purple thread, dark brown or black synthetic dubbing, pheasant tail, wound black Krystal flash, etc with probably equal success.

Back