Blue-Winged Olive Pattern

bbillings30

bbillings30

What's your favorite blue-winged olive pattern? I start to get a little intimidated when the hook size starts with a 2, so I'm looking for a pattern that's fairly simple to tie, but effective. I have hackle, cdc, snowshow hare's foot, and/or foam to make it float, I'm just looking for a good pattern. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A very easy and effective BWO dry fly:

Take a #20-22 hook and build a thin body of dark olive (can use thread or dubbing). Then tie in a puff of dark gray or black CDC at the front that projects upward like a wing. Keep the puff small, no larger in size than a pea.
This simple pattern has worked well for me.

Depends on the water type, but my go to is usually a cdc comparadun. On rough water I like thorax duns. Both are easy to tie.

The traditional catskill style with and w/o wing for most situations. I got a few parachutes and CDC patterns that see action during heavier hatches.

Almost exactly what Fishidiot stated. The only addition I make is a small rib of copper wire and a bit of beaver dubbing on the thorax. Google "Charlie Craven Mole Fly" for something similar. I also have some cdc comparaduns and some parachutes, but frankly the mole fly is so effective.

In some waters the BWO's are grey or some other non-olive color.

I like either a cdc comparadun or a snowshoe hare comparadun, using a dun hare's foot.

Tiogadog wrote:
Almost exactly what Fishidiot stated. The only addition I make is a small rib of copper wire and a bit of beaver dubbing on the thorax. Google "Charlie Craven Mole Fly" for something similar. I also have some cdc comparaduns and some parachutes, but frankly the mole fly is so effective.

^ I had not seen that pattern. Thanks for sharing it. Very simple.
I Like it.

GenCon

Here is an admittedly poor iPad pick of the fly I referenced in the earlier post. This is a size 18. I tie them down to 24.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 5
Nice, I like it.

GenCon

Fish idiot and tiogadog. Great info. A picture is worth a thousand words. That's why I like this site. Thanks for sharing a super simple, effective pattern. Here's to keeping it simple.

Thanks,

I have recently taken to tying this fly with a body of brown midge tubing instead of the thread and wire rib. Not sure it will make a difference to the fish, but we will see.

I like the loop wing emerger with dark dun CDC. You can also use snowshoe in dun if you have it.

BWO nymph I tie

Size 14 or 16 TCO Hook
Fire Orge Ultra thread or Orge Danville
Olive stripped peacock quill
Peacock dubbing

4EDA1663-6648-412B-BD4C-ACF667BA94D0.jpg

I like FI's pattern, super fast tie. Lutz and I had an awesome day on Spring Creek using that pattern last year. But my other friend and I couldn't buy a hit last weekend, the flies hatching were much darker body than that pattern.

What's your favorite blue-winged olive pattern?...
I'm looking for a pattern that's fairly simple to tie, but effective...
I'm just looking for a good pattern. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
So, I went and opened my BWO box
IMGP0259_zps2698db0d.jpg

that is in my vest 365 days a year, and pulled out some of my favorites that fit your criteria. I hope this isn't too much photo overload.

CDC comparadun
IMGP0070_zps3c5fb68c.jpg

Crappy photo of the simpliest and one of the most effective patterns of all times - Bill Anderson's CET.
IMGP1719_zpse8497c0d.jpg

Another crappy photo, this time of a very simple poly-yarn dun.
IMGP1701_zps6b60b1f2.jpg

Similar fly that Fishidiot had described and others gave a "thumbs up".
IMGP0011.jpg

Bunny dun.
IMGP0248_zpsd5360fac.jpg

One of my all time favorites - CDC dun.
IMGP0245_zpsa3fd5628.jpg

Floating nymph. This usually works when nothing else will.
IMGP0257_zps22c78d3c.jpg

These I have in 18-24 at all times in dark olive, olive, light olive, tan and brown.
Oh, I have plenty more, but these are pretty simple three or four material patterns that, with a little practice, can be tied by a beginner.

gutcutter, thanks for sharing those, Nice ties. As I do like cdc flys. I am usually drawn to using a bunny dun. Bunny duns are my go to for sulphur hatches as well.

GenCon

I tied up some Wilcox Green Machines today that look good and come highly recommended by a local guide during BWO hatches. I would take a pics if I could figure out how to get it small enough to post.
Also tied up some Yong flies that were simple enough.

Back