Hatching from 11:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Hatches start about mid-April
Locations: Penns Creek, ...

Please add more hatch locations

Attachments

• _DBX8552.jpg
    _DBX8552.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 12
hard to tell Dave, cannot see the tails and when i enlarge it its to fuzzy..best guess a blue quill if its coming off with the hendrickson.

Blue quill would be my guess also - given that size. Would have 3 tails

Great pic! You have a great camera eye!

Looks like a blue quill, but where are the fish pictures???

Blew it up large and adjusted the light and couldn't see any tails. My best guess is Blue Quill or Hendrickson. I'm leaning toward the latter because of where the hind wing falls in relation to the body.

Sorry I forgot to share that is was three tails.

Blue Quill
Paraleptophlebia adoptiva:

#16-#18 Dark body
Three tails

This guy was on my house this morning, Dauphin county. Any ideas?

20120417_081736.jpg

20120417_081748.jpg

Nymph O Maniac...

March Brown - maccaffertium vicarium

I believe it's a female, but not sure. Eye's look relatively small, I see no claspers. It's a dun, that's for sure.

I'm getting good at this. I was able Id both. The march brown was a no brainer since it was one i needed help with. Determining it was a female, was a cinch now (at least for this one)

I found these today while fishing at Trough Creek State Park, I was hoping for some help identifying them. I'm new to PAFF and I have been browsing the Entomology forums and I was eager to learn some more. I was thinking it might be a gray drake or March Brown but I'm having a hard time Keying it out, some help would be awesome.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 17, 7 05 19 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 17, 7 05 19 PM.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 5
  • Photo Apr 17, 7 05 47 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 17, 7 05 47 PM.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 8
Wings look mottled and clear and the tails long and big eyesso I'd guess a male spinner. But thats all I get from the pic. Probably a March Brown Spinner. But with no scale its difficult. A Brown drake would be 3/4 to 1" long on the body. They are a mid may bug too but everything is early this year soooo. Who knows.

any more details on body size or whether the legs were barred? Hind wing size? Mothers maiden name? :lol:

OK better pic....March Brown Spinner. Male.

I just uploaded another and it was definitely around an inch long and the legs had dark bands on them from what I saw.

Awesome, thanks for the help!

If the body was an inch long (minus the tails) then it wasn't a march brown. The hind wing is huge too.....not sure now.

Scale is important.

March Brown Spinner, probably female.

Chaz, two things about the mayfly that Learms09 posted a photo of (Maccaffertium vicarium) will tell you that is a male:
1. large eyes, female's eyes are much smaller
2. claspers on the end of the abdomen, abdomen of the female will not have the claspers

Back