Blue Lining Landlocked Salmon

raftman

raftman

IMG6012.jpg

We decided to take a long weekend up in the Finger Lakes since work has been pretty consuming for both of us over the past few months. It was time to disengage from the routines of home life, to shake off a bit of the dust from all the sawing and shaping we've been doing. We left early Saturday morning and took a straight shot up 11/15 into New York. We got to camp around 1 and by the time we were set up, a torrential rain came through. We stayed dry in the camper - this seems to be a "thing" that happens to us - getting to camp right before a rain sets in (Rock Creek in Montana, Big Eddy in Maine...). It's good, though. It forces us to settle into a place.

IMG5908.jpg

After the rain tapered off a bit we went for a hike up a ravine and found some waterfalls. It rained again on our way back, but we stayed dry under a thick canopy of fir and pine. By dusk, the rain turned into sleet. Temps dropped. No chance for a fire, so we ate dinner and hung out in a warm camper. A pretty great Saturday night. There was frost the next morning. We had one of our camping staples for breakfast - Heuvos rancheros. Insanely great, one of the best foods to start the day.

IMG5920.jpg

IMG5912.jpg

The sleet and snow finally stopped around lunch, so I decided to sneak out for a few hours to explore some water. I found a blue line on a map - a tributary to the lake - and decided to take a look. It had a cool name and it looked like a decent place to possibly find lake run brown trout and landlocked salmon. I found a public parking spot near the mouth - no cars. Possibly a great sign, possibly a sign that the run hadn't started yet. I hadn't be able to find any information online about fishing conditions which I kind of loved. The locals here didn't advertise their water. I respect that.

IMG5929.jpg

?
I worked my way upstream, hitting the deeper runs. I was hoping for more water in the stream, but there were still some deep troughs that looked like great holding water. I didn't see any fish until I moved a really big lake run brown trout on a black woolly bugger. He sniffed at it, then turned away. I reached a really long, deep pool with a maple tree that had fallen in about halfway through. It was there, under those branches, that laid the darkest water. I drifted an egg through it once, twice, three times. On that last drift my line went tight and my Winston 6 weight bent down in praise of some holy idol lurking deep in the bottom of the pool. It knelt like that for a solid ten minutes as I fought this fish. At first I thought it was a sturgeon as it stayed hovered along the bottom. It fought like a catfish as it kept trying to get lower and lower in the water. I couldn't coax it up at all. The only other landlockeds I've landed were in Maine and they'd leap out of the water every chance they got. This one was different. She wanted to stay low.

She ran upstream a bit, then settled back down in its original spot. Finally, she started making runs downstream. With each run I tried to nose her down into the shallow part of the pool. On the fourth run, I finally got her to oblige as I ran downstream with her. I netted her with my little trout net and luckily a dude showed up right then who had a bigger net. I slid her over to it and removed the egg pattern and the big black conehead bugger that she had ripped off someone else's line. He took a few quick pictures and she swam away.

IMG5938.jpg

Hands down one of the best wild fish I've ever landed.

IMG5940.jpg

Great write up! Beautiful pictures and a once in a lifetime fish for sure.

Thanks fellas! Hopback - thanks for the help with the photos :)

I've fished big eddy and the finger lakes tribs, never caught a salmon in the finger lakes tribs, caught a bunch on the west branch.

That's a very good fish. Very wierd it hugged the bottom. The ones I've caught in the west branch, and the Atlantics I've caught in NB all went out of the water as soon as they were hooked.

Raftman that is fantastic! I go up to Corning New York for Thanksgiving every year with the in laws. Seneca lake is just a short drive from their house. Normally I take a day and go down to Pine, Penns or Spring but maybe I need to reconsider. Looks like you had a great time.

Ryan - DEFINITELY reconsider.... if you need some pointers, shoot me a PM. I obviously only know little, but it may be worth your time to explore a bit. Also, we randomly stopped at a killer burrito place in Corning - Little Boomers or something? Well worth the look.

Moon - Agree! every landlocked I've caught in Maine (Big Eddy, Mag, etc) fight like crazy to get out of the water and leap. This one was completely different. It fought, but it fought low and deep. At one point I thought I was snagged on the bottom as I couldn't get her to move at all. She was a brute!

there is no fish in the finger lake tribs...........

Nice story

Sweet stuff raftman. Come on back to to MiffCo sometime soon and we will hit up some good waters.

Jifigz... it's been on my mind. Next couple of weeks? I'll shoot ya a message here soon.

Yep shoot me a message and we will get something on the books.

Awesome return on a few hours exploring a blue line!

Now this is a trip I've never thought about. Seems like a ton of fun.

raftman wrote:
Ryan - DEFINITELY reconsider.... if you need some pointers, shoot me a PM. I obviously only know little, but it may be worth your time to explore a bit. Also, we randomly stopped at a killer burrito place in Corning - Little Boomers or something? Well worth the look.

Moon - Agree! every landlocked I've caught in Maine (Big Eddy, Mag, etc) fight like crazy to get out of the water and leap. This one was completely different. It fought, but it fought low and deep. At one point I thought I was snagged on the bottom as I couldn't get her to move at all. She was a brute!

Thanks! Gonna take you up on that in a few weeks.

Cayuga streams are fishing well, Seneca has been slow, except the canal

Great post. Makes me want to head up to the Fingers, but I don't have time. Love the Cayuga Tribs.

The Cayuga tribs can be finicky - need a spate to bring them in and they may not hold long. Year-year variation can be big. However, they are not the circus that the Lake O tribs are and when a pod of landlocked salmon are in front of you all is right with the world.

By Thanksgiving the LL will be sparse, but big browns and the "jack" rainbows should keep you busy if the water is right.

had LL all the way to end of Dec. last year on the Cayuga tribs. after this weekend should be some freshies moving in

moon1284 wrote:

That's a very good fish. Very wierd it hugged the bottom. The ones I've caught in the west branch, and the Atlantics I've caught in NB all went out of the water as soon as they were hooked.

in my experience, male Atlantics tend to bull dog and the females jump. same as Steelhead, though I've caught a lot less of those.

a wonderful story in any case.

Back