Blue Charm

turkey

turkey

I was tying these for a swap on another forum but I thought I'd post one here.

hook - Alec Jackson 2061 sz 3
thread - black (8/0)
tip - small silver oval tinsel
tag - yellow floss
tail - golden pheasant crest
body - black floss
rib - small silver oval tinsel
collar - blue hackle (schlappen on this one)
wing - stacked grey squirrel tail

Thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

• bluecharm (640x480).jpg
    bluecharm (640x480).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 13
very nice !
great fly for Atlantic's and steel.

Very nice fly! Did you use any "tricks" to tie in the squirrel wing and still keep a nicely proportioned head?

Nice tie Turkey. Question about those types of hooks. I have some that have what I would call an "open eye" on them. The eye doesn't form a circle and close at the shank rather it is bent back along the shank a short distance. When I tie I just take the thread over that area when finishing off the head to close it up. Should I be doing anything different? Hopefully I'm describing this clearly.

Thanks guys.

Frequent, not really any tricks on the wing. I use a little dab of head cement on the squirrel hair then wrap over it...oh and sometimes I wax the thread a little. Just a little though.

McSneak, I do the same as you. Just wrap it up so that it pinches together. The one thing I try to do with the body when using these hooks is build up material on the shank so there is a smooth transition from the body material up over the return eye of the hook...if that makes sense?

That should fish well on your 2wt. Good stuff as always man.

great looking fly!
nice clean head

when working with return-eye hooks

it also works to keep your tag ends of material long enough to meet the retun... makes and nice under body

83a709ee.jpg

Back