Blue Bird Browns

klingy

klingy

If you're like me, you don't get to pick and choose your fishing days around the perfect weather. I had all day yesterday to fish, and looking at the forecast, it didn't look good. The conventional wisdom is to avoid bright sunny days, but that's what I was dealt by mother nature. Great. I figured I'd make the best of it. My plan was to target trout and smallies in the Huntingdon/Centre/Mifflin area.

From about 10:30 on, the trout were keyed in on the shade/heavy structure. At first, I tried fishing every good looking hole, but after I noticed I wasn't getting anything out of water that was in the sun, I just skipped those holes all together. After keying in on the shade, the trout seemed to take whatever I threw at them. Hares ear, walts worm, caddis pupa, even some on hoppers. It was actually pretty crazy. In one hole I caught a fish on four consecutive casts.

I know for sure this wasn't due to any real skill on my part, I feel like I was just in the right place at the right time. I have fished these same streams before and had 1-2 fish days. The action continued until around 4:00, then seemed to taper off. I did manage to get into a few smallies in the evening, but the big J was still just a little high for me to wade very comfortably.

Bottom line that I took away from today is to just work the hand you're dealt. I would have come away happy just getting the chance to be outside, but it sure is nice to catch a few trout while I'm at it!

Attachments

• Biggie.jpg
    Biggie.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Colorful.jpg
    Colorful.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Red Tail.jpg
    Red Tail.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Shade and Sun.jpg
    Shade and Sun.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Brown.jpg
    Brown.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Morning Brown.jpg
    Morning Brown.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Brute.jpg
    Brute.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Butter Belly.jpg
    Butter Belly.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Predator.jpg
    Predator.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Spots.jpg
    Spots.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1
  • Walt's victim.jpg
    Walt's victim.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Young One.jpg
    Young One.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1
Man - fishing in this heat? You're hard core.

McSneek wrote:
Man - fishing in this heat? You're hard core.

When wet wading 50 degree water, 90 degree air feels pretty good!

Good looking fish there; looks like you had a great day.
Thanks for the pics.....
John

Looks like you played your hand well, man! Nice fish!

That's some really good fish. What a great day.

Congrats,

GenCon

I know for sure this wasn't due to any real skill on my part, I feel like I was just in the right place at the right time.

As was said, you played the hand you were dealt well. You recognized the traditionally "good" spots weren't producing, adjusted to the conditions, and found success.

90% of being a skilled fisherman isn't casting skill, perfect drifts, and the like. It's recognizing the situation and putting yourself in position where you can catch fish.

A complete newb in a good situation will outfish Joe Humphreys in a bad one. The difference is that Joe will recognize his situation is bad, understand why, and change it.

Some really ice fish for sure.

For dry fly fishing, overcast/rainy days do seem to produce the best hatch activity.
However, I always seem to have my best terrestrial fishing on sunny days.
So, I'll take whatever mother nature throws at me. And - hopefully - can adjust to the right tactics to deal with it

Back