Blown out = Stonefly buffet

Reeder

Reeder

With heavy rains and potential flooding coming to PA over the weekend, I was wondering who else sees this as an opportunity to catch big trout? Last weekend Lycoming Creek was high and muddy, so I decided to fish with a size 10 bead head golden stone and a giant golden stone pattern tie on a size 6 streamer hook below that. I fished anywhere along the banks where there was slower water and caught 7 and missed about as many, one of them being a heavy brown that got off. Most of the fish took the bigger meal. I am looking forward to the water turning color and the big browns coming out to stuff themselves. I will post updates and hopefully some decent photos and/or video. Has anyone else ever had any success fishing "blown out" waters.

Also, big dark streamers, i.e. Wooly Buggers, in dark olive or black in the sizes you mention can cover both bases, fished the way you describe with a few strips up the bank at the end of the drift. Pow! :D

Going to have to give it a try tomorrow. The thought of not fishing is out.

Reeder wrote:
With heavy rains and potential flooding coming to PA over the weekend, I was wondering who else sees this as an opportunity to catch big trout? Last weekend Lycoming Creek was high and muddy, so I decided to fish with a size 10 bead head golden stone and a giant golden stone pattern tie on a size 6 streamer hook below that. I fished anywhere along the banks where there was slower water and caught 7 and missed about as many, one of them being a heavy brown that got off. Most of the fish took the bigger meal. I am looking forward to the water turning color and the big browns coming out to stuff themselves. I will post updates and hopefully some decent photos and/or video. Has anyone else ever had any success fishing "blown out" waters.
That's the way you catch trout in high water.

Back