Blacklick Creek (Heshbon Trail Access)

S

sidthemuffinrunnr

I know the water is orange. I know it historically has been dead. BUT it's 5 minutes from my in-laws... I'm assuming it's a VERY low density brown trout population. I wouldn't even think about fishing it if a friend hadn't told me he knows there's reproduction happening. I know feeders have good populations further up. Any info is appreciated! Feel free to PM me if you'd rather talk in private.

- Paul

Just go and find out. Doesn't sound inconvenient. Explore.

If this is Blacklick Creek in Indiana County, almost all the water I've seen around there is orange. It doesn't hurt to take a look and there is other trout water in the county. Maybe you'll want to spend more than a 10-minute round trip away from the in-laws. ;)

There is also a BlackLeggs Creek that follows rt. 286 from Saltsburg to Indiana. I have seen lots of guys fishing that in the past. I believe they have a co-op in that area as well.

I live very close to Blacklick Creek and have lived in the area my entire life. I can't ever remember it not being orange. But the same goes for most of Two Lick, which from what I've read, has had extensive clean up and healthy fish population over recent years. I'm definitely intriqued by both and they aren't far from each other at all.

There is also a BlackLeggs Creek that follows rt. 286 from Saltsburg to Indiana. I have seen lots of guys fishing that in the past. I believe they have a co-op in that area as well.
Just FYI it is probably the worst possible stream to fly fish in the state. No riffle water, very narrow, no casting room. It wouldn't surprise me to find out it has the highest density stocking in the state though, that co-op loads it up along with the state. Good put-n-take for powerbait anglers but that's all it's good for.

I know the water is orange. I know it historically has been dead. BUT it's 5 minutes from my in-laws... I'm assuming it's a VERY low density brown trout population. I wouldn't even think about fishing it if a friend hadn't told me he knows there's reproduction happening. I know feeders have good populations further up. Any info is appreciated! Feel free to PM me if you'd rather talk in private.

- Paul
Are you sure your friend wasn't talking about Twolick? Same area.....

Just FYI it is probably the worst possible stream to fly fish in the state. No riffle water, very narrow, no casting room. It wouldn't surprise me to find out it has the highest density stocking in the state though, that co-op loads it up along with the state. Good put-n-take for powerbait anglers but that's all it's good for.
Good to know. I used to see it on the way to little Mahoning and wondered. Never wanted to trade off time at a known stream.

I have heard theres some nice browns in there ...from locals

I think the water looks beautiful. Reminds me of the Yough, just smaller. Casting room and width are a no factor. I've fished Two Lick before and several other streams in the area, but I like big water. I know they are/have built a water treatment facility on Blacklick and should start treating water next year (I may be wrong on this).

I think the water looks beautiful. Reminds me of the Yough, just smaller. Casting room and width are a no factor. I've fished Two Lick before and several other streams in the area, but I like big water. I know they are/have built a water treatment facility on Blacklick and should start treating water next year (I may be wrong on this).
I was responding to tomgambers comment about Blackleggs creek, not Blacklick creek. Yes Blacklick looks like prime flyfishing water. Only problem is the lack of fish.

Back