black stone nymphs

djmyers

djmyers

What size/hooks do you use when you are tying your black stones?

For which black stones? Winter spring summer?

In winter while 16 seems big, its a size I can see...in spring I tie them in a 12 and late summer or fall I tie them 10 sometimes 8.

For the Winter I use sz. 18 3x long natural nymph bend.

For the large stonefly(may and june) I use sz. 6 3x long natural nymph bend.

That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I haven't ever fished them and so I didn't realize there was such size differences between the seasons.

Is there a specific type of water that you can find/fish them? Do you usually have to weight the flies heavily?

Winter ones are in most streams.

The larger ones are mostly in free stone streams and live int eh riffles.
Some of my best days are with large golden stones through the riffles andat the head of pools in late May -- June.

I am new to tying this year and just within the last month started tying stone flies. I tie them how I fish them, Big. And like the buggy looking ones. So mine have front antennae and a twin tail but also legs all over. Size 10 or 12 extra long curved nymph hooks.

djmyers wrote:
That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I haven't ever fished them and so I didn't realize there was such size differences between the seasons.

Is there a specific type of water that you can find/fish them? Do you usually have to weight the flies heavily?

I weight mine....French Creek has a nice Black stonefly hatch in March(which isn't too far from you). Also I treat my wings with a clear lacquar...it makes handling them easier and prevents them from splitting when tying them in.

I also tie the black stones in 16's and 18's in the spring
up size 4's and 2's in the summer.
I fish those big suckers on the big pine and lehigh from
the end of May till Sept.

Wet

Winter 18 & 16 black and brown's partial to the tiemco 200 r's

Spring same above just 14's & 16 same style hook
summer to fall 12 & 14's
Fall I like large articulated imitations
Rick

Back