BJ Barham - Rockingham

steveo27

steveo27

I know a few of you dudes on here have the same taste in music as I do, so I figured Id throw this up here.

The lead singer of American Aquarium, BJ Barhman, just released his solo debut last week.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/bj-barham-american-aquarium-solo-rockingham

Ive always found American Aquariums music very relate able. BJ's solo stuff is no different. The link above has a very goof article with an interview. It also has all the tracks on the new album.

Definitely worth checking out if your into Americana/country/southern roots music.

Thanks!

Very good band. Will give a listen.

I knew you 2 dudes would like it!

Looks like I just missed American Aquarium being in Pittsburgh. I got tickets to go see Sturgill Simpson on October 15, and then to see Lucero October 24. I've been debating getting a ticket to see Ryan Bingham with Brian Fallon opening up in September at Stage AE but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

By the way, That is a really good album from BJ Barhman. It's available on Spotify as well so created a playlist.

I missed them as well. My old lady was sick so we skipped it. I saw them in the summer in Cumberland MD and last fall at Club Cafe. Hell of a live performance by him and the rest of the band.

Im pumped to see Brian Fallon again. This will be the 2nd time seeing him and the Crows. I saw him once with Gaslight Anthem when they played with Against Me! Ryan Bingham should be good as well, though Ive never seen him live.

Im really geeked to see Cory Branan with Lucero. Ive seen him probably 6 times now, and each show gets better. It just him and a guitar, but he really hammers on the thing.

Dammit! I wanted to hit the Grist House Microbrewery before the Lucero show, but it's on a Monday night and they aren't open on Monday's. Went to check on the Draai Laag Brewery which is also in Millvale and they are also closed on Monday's! Looks like the Double L it is. We'll have to meet up and say hello.

Since we have similar music tastes, I'd love to hear yinz top 5-10 alt-country-ish records. Here's mine (subject to change) -

1. Decoration Day - DBT
2. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
3. Cold Roses - Ryan Adams
4. Steve Earle - Train A-Comin
5. Songs Ohio: Magnolia Electric Co.
6. Being There - Wilco
7. Dirty South - DBT
8. Metamodern Sounds in Country Music - Sturgill Simpson
9. James McMurtry - Complicated Games
10. Car Wheels on a Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams

Raftman I'd love to do a list but I think you hit a bunch of them. I like Dirty South better than Decoration Day personally. I like almost all of Sturgills stuff and as an album, Metamodern is outstanding.

Ryan Adams is my favorite artist. Wish he had done a little more of the alt country stuff though. If you go way back, I like Stranger's Almanac by his old band Whiskeytown. I think Love is Hell is RA's best album, but it doesn't fall into Alt-Country IMO. Frankly I don't know what it is, which is why I like it.

Another favorite of mine is Mescalito by Ryan Bingham.

Thanks for posting that link Steveo. Will give it a listen when I have time.

Mescalito was close to making the list Sarce. Great record. I haven't really gotten into his more recent stuff as much.

I'll have to check out Love is Hell. I've heard a lot of good things, but haven't ventured into yet. I think I dig Cold Roses so much because of the Dead vibe going on.

Yeah, cold roses is great. I saw him live in Philly last fall, he and his band just crushed all the cold roses songs they played and did some very grateful dead sounding jams on those. I almost got kicked out trying to film Let it Ride on my phone. Oops.

Man. I gotta think about this one.

I like Whiskeytown better than Ryan Adams by himself.

Atleast 1 Lucero album needs to be on the list. Same goes for American Aquarium. Cory Branan too. Drag the River also. Im pretty sure Chuck Ragan is alt country-ish enough to be near the top of the list. DBT obviously.

I gotta sit down and think this one over.

These aren't all alt-country, some singer songwriter stuff, and some I don't really know what it would fall under, but these are a few of the albums I've been listening to a lot the past couple years, amongst many others. In no particular order...

Trailhead – Leave Me To Learn
Kurt Vile – b’lieve I’m Goin Down
Dale Watson – Call Me Insane
Lucero – Tennessee
Lucero – All A Man Should Do
Griffin House – So On and So Forth
Lord Huron – Strange Trails
Ryan Bingham – Tomorrowland
Nikki Lane – All Or Nothin’
Jamestown Revival - Utah
Hard Working Americans – Rest In Chaos
Sturgill Simpson – Metamodern Sounds…
Gregory Alan Isakov – The Weatherman
Thomas Cohen – Bloom Forever
The War On Drugs – Lost In A Dream

That War on Drugs record is amazing. I've kept coming back to that since it's been released and it never grows old.

That album from Kurt Vile, who was in The War On Drugs at one point, is pretty darn good. He has a few good albums out there.

Ill have to check out some of the stuff you guys are talkin about.

My list. No particular order...

Cory Branan - Mutt
Lucero - Nobody's Darlings & Tennesee
American Aquarium - Burn. Flicker. Die
Drag the Rive - Its Crazy
Chuck Ragan - Feast or Famine
Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac
Tim Barry - Rivanna Junction
DBT - Decoration Day
Nick 13 - self titled
Tim Vantol - If We Go Down
Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart

Some other bands/singers I dig that are a more punk than country...

Dave Hause, Dan Andriano, Brian Fallon/Gaslight Anthem, Against Me!, The Menzingers, Hot Water Music, The Ship Thieves....

My all time favorite album ever is toss up between "The Acoustic EP" by Against Me! or "On the Impossible Past" by the Menzingers.

I could talk about music all day.

+1 for Frank Turner, dude is an awesome songwriter. I was disappointed with his latest, but really like everything before that.

Positive Songs/Negative People?

Yeah, wasn't really a fan other than a couple songs, but he set a high bar with his previous stuff

I guess I'm going to have to check him out... any particular album to start with?

Back