Birthday Present!

streamerguy

streamerguy

Well for my b-day this year my parents decided to get me the lifetime Trout Unlimited membership, and a new rod and reel comes with it! There are 5 combos to choose from and I'm not sure what I should get. It's a Winston GVX rod and a Ross CLA reel. Anyone have any experience with the rod or reel? It goes from a 7.5 ft 3wt to a 9ft 8wt. I currently have an Orvis 6.5ft 3wt, 7.5ft 5wt, and a Redington 8.5ft 5wt. I'm thinking a 9ft 6wt. I want something that could land a steelhead or carp but isn't too heavy for regular stocked trout and small bass. What do you guys think?

A. I have 2 CLAs and I'm very happy with them.

2. I think you're right on with the 6wt.

Very cool present.

streamerguy wrote:
Well for my b-day this year my parents decided to get me the lifetime Trout Unlimited membership, and a new rod and reel comes with it! There are 5 combos to choose from and I'm not sure what I should get. It's a Winston GVX rod and a Ross CLA reel. Anyone have any experience with the rod or reel? It goes from a 7.5 ft 3wt to a 9ft 8wt. I currently have an Orvis 6.5ft 3wt, 7.5ft 5wt, and a Redington 8.5ft 5wt. I'm thinking a 9ft 6wt. I want something that could land a steelhead or carp but isn't too heavy for regular stocked trout and small bass. What do you guys think?

What are the makes and models of your current rods? Reason I ask is they may have an awesome combo that may replace something marginal or something you don't like.

Interesting that TU is offering multiple options. Sad thing is rods seam to be huge downgrade. GVX is a nice rod but is $500 retail. Last year membership was $1000 and various offers included TCX and Bllmx which are $650 rods.

Edit: wowza! Jumped it up to $1200 and substantially down graded the gear! Oh well, ya I actually cast the 9 6wt GVX. Great rod. You will enjoy it!

9' 6 weight is a good idea. I've never owned anything over 8'6", but I've never fished for steelhead. 6 weights are great because you can start with trout, and go right on up the freshwater line. I use my 8'6" 6 weight for trout, smallies, largemouth, and I have caught carp with it. can't go wrong with that setup.

Dear streamerguy,

Look at it this way, no matter what rod you pick you will have a nice new combination to compliment the lifetime TU membership. ;-)

Having said that, personally I'd look hard at the 8 weight combo.

My reasoning is that you already have the "trouty" line weights covered by rods from 3 to 5 weight and a 6 weight is not really a significant jump up in capability and capacity from a 5 weight.

By going to the 8 weight I personally think you'll open up a new group of potential target fishes and even have a rod that can work on nice days or inshore for saltwater.

Whatever you chose you really can't lose!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

jdaddy, My 3wt is an old Orvis glass rod, not sure on the model. The 7.5ft 5wt is an Orvis Clearwater, and the 8.5ft 5wt is a Redington Crosswater.

I'm down to the 6 or 8 wt, can't decide which one.

Dear streamerguy, Look at it this way, no matter what rod you pick you will have a nice new combination to compliment the lifetime TU membership. Having said that, personally I'd look hard at the 8 weight combo. My reasoning is that you already have the "trouty" line weights covered by rods from 3 to 5 weight and a 6 weight is not really a significant jump up in capability and capacity from a 5 weight. By going to the 8 weight I personally think you'll open up a new group of potential target fishes and even have a rod that can work on nice days or inshore for saltwater. Whatever you chose you really can't lose! Regards, Tim Murphy

I have to agree.....go with the 8 weight

My vote is a 7 weight, you have a 3 and 5 covered for now, 7 is good for steel, bass, large streamers, etc. Otherwise get a 9' 5 weight as it sounds to be a major upgrade in quality and would also get the majority of your use.

Good luck, cool gift.

My vote is a 7 weight, you have a 3 and 5 covered for now, 7 is good for steel, bass, large streamers, etc. Otherwise get a 9' 5 weight as it sounds to be a major upgrade in quality and would also get the majority of your use.

Good luck, cool gift.

Agree 100% with Tiltinator

I'm on the fence between 7 and 8, but basically agree with tilt. If you plan to throw a lot of big streamers for trout, go 7. If you plan to do more bassing and steelheading, go with the 8.

I think the 8 is a more useful tool than the 7 is in PA, but that's because I'd have more use for it on steelhead rivers and bassing than I would throwing trout streamers. I like my 6 for that.

Tiltaxp wrote:

Good luck, cool gift.

That vote doesn't count! (7 wt not an option)

How much time are you going to spend with an 8 wt? If you are really into bass and steel then get 8. If you are a trout guy then get a 5 or 6. Yes you have couple 5 wts. One is highly specialized the other is a very entry level rod. If you are going to have a premium rod in the arsenal why not make it your everyday rod? Also, I think there is a good bit of difference between the line speed you will develop on a 5wt Redington and 6wt GVX.

Given that 7 is not an option (thanks Jeff), I would lean 5 unless you have good use for the 8.

I think everyone should have a premium 9'5wt.

Last two votes make sense. Its a premium rod, why not let your everyday beast be the best?

I've got moderately nice heavier rods, and I use them a third or less as much as I use my everyday trout weight rods. If I had fair to middlin' stuff that didn't make me very happy, I'd probably use the premium rod to fill a want, not a need.

OTOH, if you think your fair to middlin' (not a dig, I'm happy with my average cost 4wt that I cannot find a more expensive reason to upgrade, and I've tried) middle weight rods are the bees knees, and you don't suspect ever upgrading, then stick with plugging the hole.

I'm leaning more towards a 6 because I only fish steel like 3 times a year and I do perfectly fine with a 5 for bass so I wouldn't get much use out of an 8. I plan on using this rod a lot so I'll probably get more use out of a 6.

This rod would definitely be an upgrade from the redington.

Do yourself the favor, get the 9' 5 wt, sell or trade the reddington and then use that money to get a 7 wt

I say get the 5 and then get a cheaper heaver rod. If you fish for steelhead a lot you would know to stay away from a high end rod because of the the abuse they go through. In my imho about $350 is my upper end limit for a steelhead rod.

I have decided on the 5wt since its a very special gift and probably the most "high tech" rod I'll have I'll just make it my main rod. But for the very little steelheading I do I think I'm gonna get a Cabela's Three Forks 8wt since its at a very cheap price. Anyone have any experience with that rod?

go w. the 6 imo...

especially if you're into pike, carp, steel, etc.

The 6 will give you the versatility you want w. your array of other rods; throwing large streamers and sink tip. great for heavy flows on larger trout streams/rivers and still has the muscle for steel.

Back