Biostrike

kyle1248

kyle1248

I've just started using Biostrike in the past month as an indicator and have really liked it. I like being able to change my depth easily and it seems to ride quite well. Does anyone else on here use it?

I've been using it for a while now. I could never get the other types of indicators on without putting a bend in my leader. The only real downside I have found is that it can discolor your leader over time, but if you make an effort to keep it clean this shouldn't happen.

John

Have used it for a few years and love it. I use the smallest amount I can get away with, sometimes only enough to color the leader.

peace-tony c.

I have used it in the past. It's in my chest pack. I thought it was pretty handy to use and adjust also. Usually forget it's in the pack and just hi stick it without an indicator when possible.

trout love to eat it too. works good

Dear kyle,

I use it sometimes too.

My only problem with it has to do with the air temperature. When it gets much above 70 degrees it tends to get gummy and messy on me. When it gets much below about 40 degrees it gets hard to work with.

A leader straightener works good for removing the residue from your leader. If you don't have an official "leader straightener" a piece of old inner tube or a piece of rubber dish washing glove works just as well.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I have used biostrike some. I didn't have any problems as far as strike indication was concerned, but I was a bit put off by the residue it leaves on your leader. Fish do seem to want to eat it.

Does this stuff float well? Is it meant to be used like a regular indicator or just as a "sighter." I seem to have a problem nymphing without a high floating indicator.

floats like a cork.

I like to "paint" the leader closer to the fly to use it as a sight indicator (doesn't float the line) and place a larger floating type indicator up the line. This gives me two indicators to follow. It's useful under some circumstances.
I use it almost exclusively in skinny and calm water

It works better than other putty indicators in IMO.

Also, bring a microfiber cloth or pieces of swiffer-type cloths to the stream. Pulling the leader through this cloth with moderate pressure easily takes the residue off the line.

bkasten wrote:
Does this stuff float well? Is it meant to be used like a regular indicator or just as a "sighter." I seem to have a problem nymphing without a high floating indicator.

IMO biostrike is better used as a sighter. I'll even smear some on my leader when I'm fishing tiny dries. If you need a bobber to nymph you're better off using thingamabobbers.

I work a few pieces into furled leaders when I'm using them. Like Jason, I use it more as a sighter. I usually only fish that way on smaller streams. Thingamabobbers for bigger water.

Never used thingamabobbers how do they stay in place?

Basically a loop to loop connection on your leader.

Or you can toothpick them.

What do you mean by toothpick them?

Thread the line through the hole in the indicator, and place a toothpick/break the excess off in it to keep it in place.

I thought that's what you were talking about but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Back