Bill to allow oil and gas waste to be spread on PA roads

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
From Valley Forge TU >

https://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2019/10/a-dangerous-bill-before-the-senate-would-legalize-dumping-of-oil-and-gas-waste-on-pa-roads-opinion.html?fbclid=IwAR04djJPIovhFkaaXirI0pQ2q6f7m87CK-76CE4cHOf6n4M0HCqzg15gQqM

One should read the bill but it's 74 pages longer then the article so I doubt many will take the time to educate themselves.

I get it. I like to think of myself as a responsible steward of the environment. I like clean water. Etc, etc, etc.

But this is another partisan post, offering one sides opinion (and yes, it is even written in the Opinion column).

It is written by a member of Earthworks. If you look at the bios of their BOD, some even describe themselves as "outspoken activists".

As soon as I see those terms, regardless of whether I'm for or against the cause they are championing, I immediately become more suspicious and critical, as I know that I'm receiving a very one sided, biased and slanted version.

And, as with issues I'm both for and against, I need more info than one piece of propaganda, and the knee jerk reaction that they are designed to elicit, before I make an informed decision.

PA Senator Andy Dinniman has always supported conservation efforts and has been an advocate for preserving our environment in Chester County and throughout our state.

Given that he supports the bill, I also question whether the bill should be supported or opposed by those concerned with protecting the environment.

As Poop wrote above, it's over 70 pages long and difficult to read and understand.

Here is another article about the bill to allow oil and gas waste to be spread on PA roads. I believe it should be opposed.

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/powersource/2018/06/14/PSU-study-pans-roadway-brine-drilling-wastewater/stories/201806130183?fbclid=IwAR3Fvy1_pBZm02a3PJTWQfMm7qNu6jRoz_jgXQh5y6Lbh6s9mcfgGLnJc4k

I familiar with this legislation and am not a proponent. PA needs to do something about fracking water. Dumping on roads is not the answer. It wasn't too long ago that penndot was using used oil from their truck fleet as a dust suppressant. Killing the oil and gas industry in the state is not the answer either.

That said the article in the OP is about as biased as one could get and is aimed at swaying public opinion rather than educating the public.

Next stop will be waterways and underground water I assume? Fracking seems to be causing more trouble than anticipated. That waste is a real mess. It doesn't belong in wastewater treatment plants or any where else.

larkmark wrote:
Next stop will be waterways and underground water I assume? Fracking seems to be causing more trouble than anticipated. That waste is a real mess. It doesn't belong in wastewater treatment plants or any where else.

Assume? No. Don't assume. While I'm not a fan of fracking its comments like this that prevent civil discourse on subjects like these.

While its one of the worst ideas they've had so far there is at least a scientific basis for putting it on roads as a deicing agent. Not good environmentally but it does work.

Sticking to the fact s about fracking is probably the easiest way to show how bad the system is broken. The hard part is going to be convincing those who like their ridiculously low heating bills more than they do things like fishing............and drinking water. :pint:

tomgamber- I sincerely apologize for interfering with the geniuses at work and their civil discourse. Carry on.

so you think just making stuff up makes the process of controlling pollution easier. hmmmm

"Next stop will be waterways and underground water I assume? Fracking seems to be causing more trouble than anticipated. That waste is a real mess. It doesn't belong in wastewater treatment plants or any where else."

More trouble than anticipated? This stuff wasnt exactly hard to see coming!

Back