Bigger fish reel??

volcanomil

volcanomil

What reel type, brand, and size do you guys currently use for larger than trout type fish? A reel that is used more than just holding the line and you are playing the fish off of the reel and using/adjusting the drag settings.

I am talking about steelhead, salmon, striper, larger bass, some salt species, bonefish, tarpon, snook, redfish? I am thinking 6wt on the low end and maybe 10wt on the upper end.

I would like to get in some more large fish trips and was wondering about reels. I am thinking salt and stripers mostly but might mix in a steelhead trip if possible.

Let's hear them, tell me your brand loyality or flavor of the month, both good and bad.

Hey checkout the Scott a3 thread.

Loomis venture. $100 new. I'm convinced it's the cheapest big fish capable reel out there.

Have the Orvis V Large Arbor.

It is probably 6-7 years old and discontinued. It has not failed yet.

Have used it in the salt and it has handled the snook just fine, same for the Erie steel.

Albright has a sale usually and I have an 8 wt GPX for $100. Machined Reel. Otherwise for the price I agree with JayL

I'd go with Allen (site sponsor) before Albright. His warranty is WAY better. I have an albright rod, and 2 Allen reels and a few of his lines and a bunch of hooks. Allen has a lifetime warranty to replace, and Albright has a very high replacement fee. Allen's reels are pretty sweet and he just came out with his new Large arbor about a week or so ago. Looks pretty good!

Tibor,
You'll spend all your time and $$ on everything else... why cheap out on your most important aspect of playing a big powerfull fish

stripers, salmon, bonefish, tarpon... ect
will shred a cheap import reel

what are you looking to spend?

Lamson lite speed - I love it. Lamson makes great reels IMO.

Ramcatt - no real price set or willing to spend. I typically am a value shopper and looking to get the best value in terms of preformance vs. price.

I usually flame people on hunting boards when they purchase a $700 rifle and then ask what $100 scope goes best with it and that can make me nuts.

I feel the same theory applies here, with bigger fish you'll need a reel that works and works properly - much more than the normal trout reel. I mean, I catch a fair number of trout and only a handful are on the reel each year.

I have three Billy Pate Bonefish anti reverse reels, i got my first reel for Salmon River when the kings are around ,and for Stripers,i wound up buying other two for strictly rigging three rods when im out in a boat chasing stripers,a floating line for one rod,a intermediate line,and a Jim Teeny Saltwater 350 for gettin down. if i had a choice again i would have just gotten a Billy Pate Trout model works great on the lakes my other three buddies have one of those as well as the salmon models. It really depends what you want in a reel if your wallet is fat you can get whatever you want.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

I have 2 old medalist anti reverse that have been going strong for years on the beach, offshore and for kings. then I have 4 Orvis built redington AL's for 9/10 and a 3/4 I have caught steel on out west. for offshore a billy pate would be great. orvis makes some decent reels also.

Back