Big, Weird and Wacky Wet Flies: anyone else make em?

Fish Sticks

Fish Sticks

I fish a lot of the big traditional night time wet flies and some non traditional ones I make but there are also some large wet flies that i use during the day( wooly worm, pickets pin). Anybody else have any large wacky looking wet fly patterns I am tying today for my after hours trips and looking for ideas.

1B873EBF 4404 431C 9D9E F1ADB134BA06
8ED83C42 049B 4602 B975 01871A5F7A6B
1228934A A955 4269 A5B5 77D3EF0C6434
4010AC8E D041 4835 A49B 155046F74F1E
5B992C48 6F61 4106 9D28 53F12894EDD7

All sorts of goofy stuff but I don't have pictures or names for them. I can try to snap some pictures later though. It is amazing what a fish will try to eat. That makes it very humbling on those rare days when I can't catch one. LOL

All sorts of goofy stuff but I don't have pictures or names for them. I can try to snap some pictures later though. It is amazing what a fish will try to eat. That makes it very humbling on those rare days when I can't catch one. LOL
sometimes i think there is actually a big advantage to to a fly with a big stiff head that pushes that much water has a big moving silhouette under the moonlight/starlight made up of whispy fibers, spring like quill wings that pulsate, Or marabou thats always pulsating/breathing. Or in muddy water pretty much same visual/sensory situation as at night.

However sometimes you want to fish goofy flies just cause. See what fish will eat.

Like when i tie a size 10 classic atlantic salmon Bomber fly and see if I can get the bluegill in my pond to eat it. Or when everyone else is sight fishing with size 18 BWO’s throwing a size 6 wooly worm.

Looks like some "pusher fly" type inspirations on some of them.

Oh yea almost all of them. I have found various ways to push water because the feathers on the original pusher get warped quills so I have been looking for a substitute for ever and have some new promising alternatives. I find the best floes combine 2 things anecdotally at night, water displacement, and a pulsating “snap back” effect of the wings or materials inbetween strips or rod til pulsations

A photo of a George Harvey "pusher" night fly is found here, at post #14.

I've tied some of these. They are wind-resistant so a beast to cast, and will twist your leader like crazy unless you use heavy leader material.

A photo of a George Harvey "pusher" night fly is found here, at post #14.

I've tied some of these. They are wind-resistant so a beast to cast, and will twist your leader like crazy unless you use heavy leader material.
I use swivels for pushers or really heavy tippet like troutbert said. I went out to brunch with Joe Humphries and his GF at the time, the late Annie Harpster. Asked him about the pushers. The best representation of the original is in george Harvey’s classic text. There are all kinds of iterations billed as original that are modified on the internet.

This is the legend that was developed by harvey and Joe caught the state record on
8784DA99 6D06 4F19 B865 D0166BDDC0E4

F89EEACB 41BB 4192 8CC7 AEC7CEB7FA89

Last edited:
You can see the “snap back” motion in the picture by the dotted lines that represent that arc of the movement of the feathers

The original was intended to fold then Snap back as the strip or twitch end AS it spun. Joe Hunphreys has a great dvd called “the night game” he films a pusher working how it should

Back