Big water fishing and comment made yesterday

krayfish2

krayfish2

I attended the ACOE meeting in Whitehaven yesterday. Prior to the meeting, several forum members got together and fished in the Lehigh Gorge area. During the comment period, one of the guys said “We had six guys fish for 5 hours. That’s 30 angling hours with zero fish caught. First impression is I probably wouldn’t come back.” (may not be verbatim but its close) Pretty sure I’ll be deemed a ‘smart azz’ for saying this but it’s true……… It’s called fishing and not catching for a reason. I could have happened on a stream 6’ wide or 400’ wide.
Over the past couple of years, I’ve taken upwards of 50 ‘big water newbies’ to some of my favorite fisheries. More times than not, the new guys have VERY limited success or no success at all. A majority of them say they will not come back. Why?
Here’s what I’ve observed over the last couple of years:
To most people in PA, Spring Creek is a medium / large trout stream and Penns is “Big Water”. I think the big water trout opportunities in this state are few and that’s why first timers become overwhelmed. The angler come unprepared to wade deep / swift water, change locations, change type of fishing method and unable to cast the required distance to reach many fish. They also seem to set unrealistic expectations due to fish pics posted by someone. I’d say PA trout fishing ‘big water’ might be limited to below Kinzua, the Yough, Lehigh, Delaware, Pine and maybe a few others. Do these rivers hold trout? Yes. Do they hold some very big fish? Absolutely.
Take a smaller stream that holds brookies and browns for example. I may consist of pools (15’ – 100’ long), shallow riffs, plunge pools, etc. The fish are often limited in their travel except during high water events. You can carefully approach a pool, make several casts and catch 1-2 fish. You walk 50 yards and repeat the process. In a 500 yard stretch, you may have fished over 25-30 pools and caught 20-30 fish.
Take the same scenario and put it on a big water stream. You first find a beautiful riffle entering a nice pool. First thing you notice is the riffle is 120’ wide and quite deep in some spots. It can be difficult for a big water newbie to read the section and figure out where the fish are sitting. Hell, it can be difficult for a veteran to find them sometimes. Due to difficulty wading and difficulty reading the water, the newbie decides to move to the top of the pool looking for risers. There are caddis and mayflies hatching in the riffs so it’s “game on”. They spot a pod of fish feeding and wade in looking to make a cast. They cast and cast but the fish can’t be reached. On big water, your depth perception seems to get skewed and what you think is 30’ away is actually 60’ away. The angler decides to wade closer so that they can reach the fish. Before you make a cast, the fish move out of range again. These fish are living in a pool that’s a mile long! If you violate their space, they simply relocate and keep feeding. The fish may also be passing through and live in that location for 1-2 months and then leave. This in particular is a tough thing for newbies to wrap their head around. You often have to approach the fish just as carefully as you would on a small brook trout stream. There are also times where you have to admit defeat or that a fish is in an uncatchable location.
Starting out in fly fishing, I frequented Clarks, the run at the Breeches, Big Spring, Spring, etc. My first big trout water was when an old timer took me to the Beaverkill. He gave me 6 patterns and turned me loose. I’d never seen water that big. I’d never seen so many hatches. I surely hadn’t caught fish that pulled so hard or were such a good average size. We made our spring trip a regular occurrence. Fly Fisherman magazine started publishing articles on the Delaware system right around that time. I tried to get the old timer to explore the Delaware system with me but he had no interest. “I only fish the Beaverkill and only use traditional patterns”. I started poking around on my own and know that I’ve put over 150 miles on the car in one day just driving from river to river and back again. Many days were spent sitting on a rock for 6-8 hours waiting for the hatch. What I didn’t realize was…..the hatch was over, I was in the wrong type of water of the fish had moved. I’ll bet my first 10 solo trips to the system yielded one 8” brown. Why would anyone subject themselves to that kind of punishment? Well, the day came where I guess correctly and got lucky. I landed 2 fish over 20” and one of them took all my line and I had to chase him like a foul hooked salmon. I never had backing on my reels back then because I’ve never needed it. LOL.
Maybe I’m a glutton for punishment, maybe it’s the stubborn Italian thing or I’m just nuts. I enjoy the challenge of reading the water, flinging off long casts to difficult lies, fighting the conditions and understanding / predicting the flows. Big water fishing isn’t for everyone but I encourage everyone to get with a guide or experienced person and give it a shot once. You might find that you love it or it’s just not your cup of tea. If you go in with ZERO expectations, you can only be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Good post. There is a significant learning curve on large waters and I think fishing them makes you a better fisherman on any water, big or small. I think it's much easier to adapt from fishing big water to small streams than vice versa.

FWIW -

I've fished the Lehigh river two times - and both were not serious trout expeditions. Was on vacation with my wife, and was able to spend just one evening each time on the water. And I did all right - finding willing risers both times. Maybe I just got lucky?
Anyway, I was quite impressed with the river ( it reminds me a lot of the yough) and keep thinking I need to go back and spend more time there.

As for the Delaware, my experience there was similar to yours.
I took my lumps, and didn't catch a thing the first 3-4 times I fished there.
But I knew it held lots of big fish - and looked at it as a challenge.
So, I kept going back. And finally started to tie into some the of large fish there. It was very rewarding to finally start to figure the river out, and I've had some awesome days there since.
Since then, I've taken quite a few other fishermen up there. Some of them took the skunk. And got very frustrated and never went back. ( I think it was a blow to their egos) I don't understand that kind of thinking. But that's the way some people are I guess

Good post. I have not fished too many big waters, only below kinzua and the yough and can say that it is tough. Last time I went to the yough I got skunked as well as my father. Does this make me upset? Not at all, just puts a little fire under your butt and makes you want to figure out how to catch them next time.

The other thing I forgot to add was how the fish in big water seem to relocate during specific times of the year. I've seen some very seasoned guides and anglers come off the river shaking their heads because the fish weren't in areas you normally find them. Temps and flows often cause movement to the bald or into slower pools.

I got an email from FUDR today. As you can see from the text and photos, tail waters all fight for water on a regular basis. The "yo yo" releases are not limited to the Lehigh.

FUDR Email:
Upper Delaware River Cold Water Ecosystem Suffers Another Blow

The inability of key decision makers to effectively communicate leaves UDR high and dry

For the second time in just over a month, the Upper Delaware River experienced an ecological shock treatment of enormous proportion when expansive areas of riverbed were dewatered virtually overnight. In a 14 hour period, the water release from the Cannonsville Reservoir went from over 900 cfs to less than 200cfs. Wildly erratic river flows can cripple the recreational economy of the UDR region and the biological integrity of this sensitive and magnificent river system.

Delaware River Club blog:

NYC DEP once again shows a total disregard for the rivers below their dams. Yesterday’s release from Cannonsville Reservoir was 874 cfs. They shut the release down and we immediately dropped below 200 cfs at the Stilesville gauge. At 1 AM this morning the release was increased to 227 cfs. At 3 AM the release was increased to 292 cfs, and raised again at 6 AM to 357 cfs. We need NYC DEP to step down the releases gradually rather than simply turning off the spigot. The additional water they would use to ramp the flows down would be minimal on their end but the benefits to the health of the system below the dams would be huge. Please let the following people hear your voice:

Paul Rush (NYCDEP) prush@dep.nyc.gov ph:845-334-7107
Thom Murphy (NYCDEP) tmurphy@dep.nyc.gov ph: 914-742-2006
Mark Klotz (NYSDEC) maklotz@gw.dec.state.ny.us ph:518-402-8233
Fred Hensen (NYSDEC) fghenson@gw.dec.state.ny.us ph: 518-402-8901
Mark Hartle (PAFBC) mhartle@pa.gov ph: 814-359-5133

Attachments

• Yo Yo flow.jpg
    Yo Yo flow.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2
  • dead browns.jpg
    dead browns.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2
Nah its not hard cause it's big water, It's cause da game commission didn't stock da crick.

I fished the Yough for the second time this past weekend. Easily the biggest water I have fished for trout. It was pretty intimidating, to fish, and to wade. I ended up coming away with two trout caught though.

The first one I caught was a pretty unique situation. I was walking the Allegheny Passage when I just happened to look down into the river and saw a golden rainbow. I decided to try and climb down over the hill and silently wade up in range and cast to it. I tied on an elk hair caddis with hairs ear dropper. On my 4th cast the rainbow grabbed my dropper and away we went on a nice fight. Ended up being around 16" and pretty fat. The trout was pretty beautiful.

Anyway, being used to fishing smaller waters it was intimidating trying to read the water and figure out where they would be holding. Overall though, it was a beautiful day out in nature. The fall foliage was amazing.

To most people in PA, Spring Creek is a medium / large trout stream and Penns is “Big Water”

Yep, and works the other way too for us dink enthusiasts, when someone calls something like Valley Creek a "small stream".

For me, Valley is medium, Spring is big and Penns is very big, and I like these waters, as well as the truly small waters, and everything in between.

But I'm the first to admit that yes, in terms of fly fishing, I'm overwhelmed when you start talking the D, Lehigh, Yough, upper Allegheny, etc. It's not that I won't fish them. But generally speaking, if I do, and if there ain't no billboards in the form of rising fish saying "cast here", then I pretty much pick up a spinning rod, tie on a minnie rig, live minnie, and some real weight, and have at it like I did in my youth.

If it's deeper than about 20-30 ft, I write it off for the guys on boats with trolling gear.

There is something appealing about fishing a river that I know that could pick me up off of my feet and swallow me... kind of like a moth to a flame :)

For the guys who are intimidated with big water - this is why the LCFA started the 'Bootcamp' last year. I imagine we will do it again next year. Keep an ear out for the announcement.

PA has thousands of cookie cutter trout streams - but it only has a handful of truly western size waters.

If it isn't hard, why do it?

Yo becker

Is that what she said last night?

More to the point (so to speak), yup - if the ffishing doesn't present a challenge, I would just as soon puff a pipe and enjoy the scenery. It may be short attention span deficit, but if I land 5 trouts in a row, I switch flies to see what they won't take. In the end, it's the one that I can't catch that brings me back.

I just recently made my first two trips to the Lehigh with limited success but I loved it. I fish the Upper D a lot and living in Philadelphia makes it not feasible to be making the trip up there every weekend. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I did not hit the Lehigh sooner. I can make it there in less than and hour and a half and it's a new puzzle to try and solve. It's awesome to have this forum as a resource as well as all the guys with years of experience.

If it isn't hard, why do it?

I love a lot about fly fishing that isn't included in the "challenge" aspect, including scenery, company or solitude, tradition, etc. So regardless of whether the fishing is any good, there's plenty of reasons.

That said, yes, "challenge" or "hardness" is one part of it, but a part that's fully dependent on expectation. I can be thrilled with catching 4 or 5, or totally disappointed in 30. It depends where you are, when you are there, and your expectations based on that.

But to me, trying to catch 50 where you expect 30 is every bit as much of a challenge as trying to catch 5 where you expect 3.

I do believe strongly that in order to improve, you have to set fairly high expectations and then strive to beat them.

I’ve had my good, great, and skunk days on the Lehigh. Outside of the usual tactic differences of a big river from a small river (as pointed out in at length above) is the wild card on any river with a tailwater is flow changes. That’s what can fowl an opportunity to catch fish if you don’t know when to go based on current flow or flow history. They don’t teach that one in a book very well.

As for the Delaware, the only way to mitigate conservation damage with yo yo releases is have it written into law that conservation of the fisher is higher priority than the drinking water. This process starts with writing the representatives listed above.

The system has a flow plan just like Francis Walter does. As you can see from the photos, they don't adhere to it very well. Any fish that spawned early probably had their redds exposed to the air for several hours. Not a good scenario. In spite of the ACOE management style, the fishery flourishes but repeatedly exposed streambed will start to take its toll on insect and fish.

I look at the Yough and Lehigh as similar systems. Fast boulder strewn sections followed by huge flats. Both run out of cold water by mid to late summer. That's ok though as the fish have adapted.....barring a drought or prolonged heatwave. The structure and gradient is much greater than on the Delaware so the lies are different. I'd say it will take a good 10-12 trips for me to be confident I can find them at the different flow levels. The first trip was kind of a dud but the 2 subsequent trips have shown fish and impressive hatches. It's definitely worth some additional exploration. From what I've seen, I'd favor the lower sections vs the gorge.

I've never fished the u del later than the 1st week of September so I know next to nothing about how browns spawn there.

I had assumed that most fish migrated somewhere to spawn, and that the vast majority took place in tributaries to the main stem, eb, and wb or very close to the dams (stilesville to cannonsville and Downsville to pepacton).

Was my assumption accurate at all, or do brown trout spawn throughout the entire system?

Penns is big water along with bald eagle creek, Little J and big Pine. All of which got much needed rain and Penns is roaring right now.

if you want to fish big water treat it as small water.

I did okay on my first trip to the big D - 3 days and at least a fish every session.

how ? by fishing foam lines and seams.

I also grilled the lodge owner pretty good. local advice always helps.

fish in big rivers need to conserve energy as much as dinks in creeks.

whilst the Lodge conga line was casting to the far bank and into the main current, I fished behind em in the middle of the river in the foam line - after learning that fish would be 'all over'.

too often folks think fish are always on the other side, nope. sometimes they are at your feet - current, food and safety.

find 2 out of 3 and fish should be there whether its a spring creek, tailwater,a big river, or even a surf beach.

cheers

Mark.

Moon,

My understanding is that the bow population are exclusively trib spawners. A good amount of the browns use feeders but there is a pretty large percentage that find gravel in main, west or east and 'get frisky'. There's a bunch of abnormal things that happen on that river system.

Mark,

One of my favorites was to watch guys wade out to pods of rising fish on the west. Before the guys even made a cast, the fish shut off. The persistent anglers held their ground waiting for the fish to begin feeding again. As light faded, you could hear them talking..... "I keep hearing the rises but can't see them due to the shadows." . What actually happened is the guys waded out 40' off the bank, the fish stopped feeding and they then posted up between the waders and the bank they'd just walked off of. They were crafty enough to figure out going behind the guys = feeding unmolested. It was hilarious to watch it unfold. The guys never figured it out either. I fishes that pool and had the same thing happen to me a few years prior.....but I turned around, hooked one of the buggers and was promptly spooled.

Back