Big ugly wooly buggers

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I've been tying wooly buggers with dumbell eyes and rabbit strip tails after I heard DC410 suggest it. I really like the way these turned out. I used barred magnum rabbit strips, small dumbell eyes, and variegated saddle hackle. I was fishing on the Juniata earlier this week and catching lots of sunnies. Then I tied one of these on and got a pretty decent bass before heading in for the day.

20130903_155501.jpg

Looking good Jeremy. The more you fish 'em the more you'll like 'em. I have caught many fish on that pattern - mainly in olive or black. The smallies just love them and my biggest wild brown out of the Donegal was taken on that pattern in black. I tied up a bunch earlier this year for a buddy of mine who was going to Canada. He caught all kinds of different fish on it - it basically became his "go-to" lure. He was fishing them with a little extra weight on an Ugly Stik. Your counter wrapped wire over the hackle will make them very durable. The title of your thread is very fitting. Sometimes the uglier they get ..... the better they fish. Just be cautious casting those dumbell eye flies as you get bigger with them- they obviously cast a bit different - you don't want to catch yourself or your rod with one because they can do some damage. Good luck.

Interesting... Somehow I didn't think about casting them with a spinning rod. I do have some larger dumbell eyes that I could put on them. I was fishing a spinning rod for most of the time I was out the other day anyway. I may have to try that.

Back