Big streamer success

T

thesmayway

Yesterday was the first day I dedicated to only carrying a big rod and big flies. It was slow fishing and took a while to entice one, but i was only interested in finding something big. We'll I got part way there. Threw this t&a bunker and landed this 17" wild brown. Not a giant and the picture doesn't do it justice as I have 4" of fish in my hand but we taped it, I promise!

Here's what I learned:

On smaller streams, even on one's you know hold big trout, this might not be the best method to catch them. You are literally fising 3'x3' lies in a steam 10' across and a nymph is probably all you need

If you want to do big streamers on small streams I'm sure there is success to be had but likely using a floating line and a weighted fly. My full sink line and unweighted flies I think would be better suited for big water... someone mentioned that on here while i was in the tying process but I didn't listen. Thanks fishngun for the tips and I know this one is tied too fat :)

I'm going to keep at it, just tune how and when!

20150611_212447_zpscceae1ad.jpg

2015-06-10122738_zpsd6950847.jpg

Is that a single hook, of articulated?

Articulated and I hooked it by the back hook

Just out of curiosity, what are you considering a "big rod?" What weight were you using? And keep on chucking those big streamers and you're bound to slam something huge eventually.

pat yourself on the back-
you have the gumption to live and learn and not just use follow the herd tactics cuz you're afraid you'll waste valuable time on the water.
Your post is one the most refreshing I've read here or anywhere.
Keep at it youngster[sez the OF].

one hint-water temp-- go when its most comfortable for those big old jaded bruisers you are after. Day time higher-you want the cool,cool time of day
winter time--usually right in the middle of the day.

Very nice!!

thesmayway wrote:

Here's what I learned:

On smaller streams, even on one's you know hold big trout, this might not be the best method to catch them. You are literally fising 3'x3' lies in a steam 10' across and a nymph is probably all you need

If you want to do big streamers on small streams I'm sure there is success to be had but likely using a floating line and a weighted fly. My full sink line and unweighted flies I think would be better suited for big water...

Yep, on small streams a floating line and a smaller weighted fly(or a couple little split shot) is all you need. Don't need to go crazy.....a beadhead bugger, zonker, etc. usually does the trick to entice the bigger "pool boss" fish. Timing the conditions helps of course.

Even on bigger water small flies and floating line catches a lot of nice fish. A lot of people associate "streamer fishing" with heavy rods, sinking line/sink tips, and huge articulated flies. Not always the case. But yeah, if ya want a true hog bigger is usually better as far as flies go. Keep at it!

Heavy rod is a St Croix Imperial 9' 8wt with SA Frequency Full Sink. I can't see throwing this combo with this fly with less than a wt and it being much fun, but I'm sure it can be done.... it's tiring.

A semi-acquaintance does quite well on nymphs on big fish, but there is a certain romance of an angry carnivore fish destroying something that appears to be another trout... so I'll keep on keepin on

Thanks for the input guys. I live in the Lancaster area and honestly I'm driving past better water for this type of fishing to try and do it in Potter... I guess the enticement is the challenge to some regards but I know with absolute certainty that these little streams hold fish over 22". I'm making a day trip to bigger water in state college in the very near future!

Oh and thank you pete41... believe me, when my buddy switched to spinners halfway thru the day and started to catch every fish in the stream I was questioning my sanity. I got a taste tho, and the tug is the drug haha

The 8 wt rod might be overkill if you didn't have a sinking line, but it certainly helped with the weighted line. I doubt you need to go bigger than a 6 weight for trout, but it's your choice. That is a nice brown.
Ironically I was using a sinking line last week fish for trout in a big river that was up, the flow was 3200 CFS. I fished streamers, nymphs and dries, but only used the sinking line on the streamers. I caught a three brookies on the streamers, and a bunch of rainbows, one that nearly went to the backing on the dries.
Used 3 rods. My 4 weight, and 2 5 weights.

8 wt. was fine on the big western waters but used a 6wt. or a 5wt.on the ones more like most in Pa...
to each their own but I was the type that pretty much got stuck on the second level
1-most fish
2-biggest fish
then used the 3rd level
3-most difficult
to apply to the second level---
but a lot depends on where you are fishing if its worth concentrating on trophy fish.
Experience is the best teacher there.
example-Dan Bailey-- famous Montana shop owner and fisherman was well known for his West coast steelheading admitted he never caught a trout over 5 pounds in Montana.
Why- since his shop was in Livingston right on the banks of the Yellowstone he couldn't be bothered going over to The Missouri and concentrating on lake run spawners.
Lots of nice fish in the Yellowstone just the Missouri was a step up.
So while Penns,Youngwoman,pine etc.. have nice fish the Letort,Yough and others have a little edge.
excuse the rambling-heading north in a couple days-

Im not so worried about the fish being landed on the 5wt as trying to casy the heavy weight line and soggy rams wool and dumbell eyes on a5wt. Plus my current arsenal isn't balanced with a lighter stremer rod that makes sense.

Cabelas CGR 5'9" 3wt lol
Hardy Jet 7' 5wt too short
Grey's Streamflex 10' 5wt too long
And the 8wt st croix

I have my eye on a 6 or 7wt Bank Robber from St Croix and an acquaintance is dumping some 9' 5wt Orvis rods I might nab to round it all out... But as of now the St Croix I have is best suited I think. I honestly need more reels and or extra spools to gain some flexibility more than I need the rods.

In all honesty it mostly depends what, where, conditions and type of rod when considering line wt of big streamers.

I have an 8wt full flex that you would probably guess as a 6 by feeling it. Wonderful big streamer rod

I bought a 7wt Orvis just for steelhead and big streamers and it was one of my best decisions. I leave my 5 weight for the nymphs, dries, and smaller streamers. I think it's all personal opinion.

and I would use nothing but fast tip for streamers so different strokes for different folks.
Over the 25 years I was an avid streamer fisherman for my own fishing I settled on two things
No larger than number twos- as larger didn't catch any bigger fish but a noticeable drop in numbers.
and no heavier than 8pound tippet-tried up to 12 but numbers dropped-why ? Can't say but they did.
Just my experience.

Nice looking fish! I am most comfortable fishing streamers on small streams with a 7.5' 4wt! The length of the rod is more of a factor for me than the weight. I consider rod weight more when casting dries. The creeks I fish are very brushy so a lot of times I'm just lobbing streamers and using their own weight to shoot line.

bigslackwater wrote:
Nice looking fish! I am most comfortable fishing streamers on small streams with a 7.5' 4wt! The length of the rod is more of a factor for me than the weight. I consider rod weight more when casting dries. The creeks I fish are very brushy so a lot of times I'm just lobbing streamers and using their own weight to shoot line.

I love that you just called a spade a spade here! You actually can cast streamers and not have your line or leader collapse on you with the right set-up. But dang it's tough to use the set-up on small streams. I tend to do the same thing you do on small streams. And while it may not be fair to call it casting, over the years, I've gotten pretty dang precise with it.

On large water, you can set a rod up with a line that will load the rod and turn over your streamer. I use Airflo StreamerMax, but this line has a long sink tip of T7 at the end of the shooting head. There is no way to cast that on a small creek. You simply don't have the space to carry that under tight cover.

I guess the point is....when you're fishing, just fish. There are some applications where pretty casting just isn't an option. I'm all about the fishing. I can get my offering where it needs to be in about any situation. I make no apologies to the critics for that. If they enjoy the perfect cast in all situations, cool. At the end of the day, I want to come in contact with fish. I don't want to pass up water in which a pretty cast cant be made :)

Yep, I may look clunky when casting like that but it gets the fly where it needs to be and not in the trees. I think a lot of fly anglers can get a caught up in what is proper casting technique and sometimes forget that on the water there are less than perfect conditions, ESPECIALLY here in PA. Example, I see many anglers attempting perfect overhead casts in tight situations and end up in the trees. My cast is almost always a side arm cast low to the water. An overhead cast is rare. Actually, it's so rare it feels awkward to me to cast that way.

I enjoy throwing big streamers in high off color water. I like to cover alot of water and it's alot of casting and stripping but it can be very rewarding in a chance to get some decent size trout.

Excellent point, big slack. Some creeks (Clark's is a good example) are near on impossible to cast overhead even from the middle of the creek. unless I am wading in the middle of the Susquehanna, I rarely am laying out a long loop.

Back