Big Spring Spawning and Thoughts

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

I got the chance to fish Big Spring all day yesterday. I fished the entire fly stretch and did very well considering the amount of spawning activity taking place in the stream.

Both the rainbows and Brookies are spawning from below the ditch downstream through the second phase restoration. It was very refreshing to see paired up Brookies this far down from the ditch.

Please be advised as not to target these fish and be careful wading!

It was curious to note the Brookies spawning now. I thought historically it began near the end or dec- beginning of January. I hope they go at it for awhile. Also interesting the only spawning activity I noticed in the ditch was up in the fish propagation area. Then again the ditch seemed very vegetated for this time year.

I was able to sit and watch a near 17" male and 15" female Brookie in the fly area (phase2 area) do their thing.

Thank you Cumberland Valley TU for the wonderful work done on Big Spring. I have a very good feeling about the future of wild brook trout in this watershed.

Good to hear!

I've been keeping tabs - unscientifically of course - on ST (brooktrout) and RT spawning the last few years in BS. ST spawning seems to me to be increasing the last couple years. The last two years I have noted less RT spawning. RT spawning was off the charts in 2010-11, but seems less to me now. RTs in BS have been spawning in Aug/Sep in recent years, but this may be changing to a later time of year(?).

Traditionally, STs have been known to be winter spawners in BS and I have noted them on redds from late Nov until late Feb with the peak usually in January. This year they seem to be off to an early start from what I'm hearing. STs also seem to be moving downstream and selecting more spawning sites with each passing year from what I have witnessed. This is especially encouraging. How much of this is a result of the habitat improvements from 2010 and 2013 is a matter of speculation... however one of the main goals of the work was to improve habitat for wild STs and the noticeable spawning downstream in these sections is very good news. One difference between the newer 2013 section and the 2010 section (Phase I - upstream) is the 2013 section utilizes smaller, pea sized gravel on the log emplacements. This was a change made after the larger rocks (golf ball size) in 2010 were being used by RTs for spawning. The smaller rock was intended to be more hospitable to STs.

Very encouraging to see so many wild trout, STs in particular, doing their thing in BS.

Here's some pics of a few redds I've been keeping an eye on lately.

Attachments

• foxx.jpg
    foxx.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 5
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 4
  • skelton.jpg
    skelton.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 4
All those redds are dead

Fishidiot wrote:
The last two years I have noted less RT spawning. RT spawning was off the charts in 2010-11, but seems less to me now. R

Any theories for this Dave?

Dave,

Fascinating. I was hoping you would reply to this thread. I witnessed at least 10 redds actively being used by rainbows. I also witnessed 2 males rainbows fighting all over the stream, presumably for the right to spawn.

Why the change though? Why from spring to winter? I don't get it.

Also interesting was conversations in the past about Rainbows not doing well in the ditch. Apparently something to do with nitrogen causing air bubbles on their skin and making their eyes buldge?
While i caught a ton of Brookies in the ditch I didnot catch any rainbows there. I did catch a handful of larger specimens (rainbows), this one was caught downstream of the ditch but before phase 1, note the air bubbles on the skin.
image_zpsa89e717e.jpg

I wonder if nitrogen has any reason for the change of spawning season or activity(or lack there of) in the rainbow spawn.

It was encouraging to see so many Brookies spawning so far down from the ditch. One of the spawning beds was absolutely huge. Good stuff!

Water temperature is a possible explanation.

When the water temperature gets down to a certain temperature, that is a trigger for them to spawn.

The water coming right out of the spring is a constant temp year around, about 53F.

On cold days, the water down near the lower end of the regs area, will be cooler than that.

So, the spawning may start earlier further downstream, and move up as the weather continues to get colder as we get deeper into winter. And only when it gets really cold (like in January) will the water temps be cold enough way up near the springs to trigger spawning.

So, you might see spawning in the ditch and just below at the same time as in the past.

Just a theory.

mario66pens wrote:
Fishidiot wrote:
The last two years I have noted less RT spawning. RT spawning was off the charts in 2010-11, but seems less to me now. R

Any theories for this Dave?

I'm not sure.
The RTs in BS, at least the current crop, are probably entirely a product of the old hatchery fish and they just seemed to have a population burst there for several years. Sometimes you see this sort of thing when fish first acclimate to a new lake or river - there's a period of rapid population growth and high fish numbers, followed by a decline of population down to numbers more suitable for the habitat. Perhaps the reduced RT spawning (again, this is just my own unscientific observation) is just the population settling down to more sustainable reproduction rates.

troutbert wrote:
Water temperature is a possible explanation.
So, you might see spawning in the ditch and just below at the same time as in the past.
Just a theory.

Makes sense. It has been cold early this year.

Sal's theory on water chemistry could certainly be a factor as well.

I also fished BS yesterday, from middle lot up to the ditch. I also saw those large males fighting with their backs exposed. It was entertaining to watch. I was thinking the same thing about them being spring spawners. I wonder if competition for redds might impact brookie spawning?

I did very well, except for in the ditch. I was hoping for some midge activity so I could toss dries up there. That vegetation is a nightmare hahaha

I was out to Big Spring late afternoon and saw Brookies on redds. I ran into some other guys out there and did more talking than fishing. The brookies were pointed out to me.

SteveG had told me he had seen the same a few days ago via text conversations. Brookies & Bows.

I was hoping to take some photos when I got out there, but the was not enough light to penetrate the glare.

I did fish but most of it was exploratory out side of the FF area. Lookin for monsters…

I have seen Letort browns with bulging eyes (white) and had been told the same in the past…too high of a nitrogen level.

Attachments

• P4150229_R.jpg
    P4150229_R.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3
Most of the monsters are in the reg area.

Steve,

I must have just missed you. I parked at the lot before nealey. Fished upstream from the bottom to the ditch and back down. Never saw another soul.

I don't think competition will have much affect. They make their own

Do you drive a large black truck? I saw one parked at the ditch, I pulled in to take a look for top water action, and it drove off. I was there around 1130-1600.

It is always great to see brookies paired up. One redd had about 4 invaders they were fighting off.

No I drive a saturn relay, I parked at the last lot before the end of the special regs. I was there from 6:30(before sunrise) until 2pm.

Brian,
That's the look. The one I caught with the air bubbles didn't have the bulging eyes but a large bow on the downstream side of big spring road bridge did not look healthy. Thought his eyes were gonna burst.

You know me, Brian, I want 30+" browns…no stinkin little bait fish!

There are still some brown in there that would make an appetizer out of any of those spawners you saw or caught...

My plan was to hook a fish and hope a brown latches on to it.;)

Honestly, I'm aware. I had that brown take my line a week before it was caught, removed from the stream and brought back. Though I dunno if it could have eaten a 27" bow, it could have eaten a 17" brook.

That fish and several other browns have been harvested by the same group of anglers. The numbers are dwindling. The stream below town is all browns.

Glad to hear about the abundant spawning activity, would be interesting to see a greater surge of Brookies in the stream below the Ditch. As for the browns , haven't seen any in the Ditch or even the upper mile for about 2 years. Used to be a big one that cruised back and forth with a (bluish) eye in the ditch. Haven't seen any since.

Ain't nae fish'n that crick! Amish kids with bait dun cleaned 'em out -

In response to the population burst of RT right after the PFBC designed habitat project, it is shown there is typically a spike in trout populations right after a habitat project is complete and then it levels down a certain extent. Also, I am sure as RT and ST have almost identical habitat needs the more ST that find their way into the 2nd phase of the project the less RT have a strangle hold on the prime spawning areas and feeding lanes.

Back